From:
Justin Gross <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Political Methodology Society <[log in to unmask]>, Justin Gross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2023 17:30:25 +0000
UMass Amherst is hiring!
https://careers.umass.edu/amherst/en-us/job/520262/lecturer-data-analytics-computational-social-science-dacss
In addition to those topics listed in the job description, we are keen on adding courses in spatial analysis, temporal analysis, and simulations/agent-based modeling in the near future.
Please email me at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> with any questions. This is a position that is renewable after the initial year—I’m happy to provide more detail one-on-one.
Job Description
The Data Analytics and Computational Social Science (DACSS) Program at the University of Massachusetts Amherst invites applicants for a position as a Lecturer in Computational Social Science. This is a full-time, one-year position, with the expectation of reappointment contingent upon funding and the candidate’s performance. This is an academic year appointment, and the preferred start date is September 1, 2024.
The successful candidate will be expected to offer three unique in-person, online, or multimodal courses each year (6 total sections),  including one of the four DACSS core courses covering topics in data science, quantitative analysis, research design, and data visualization; and at least one technical elective covering topics such as text, networks, machine learning, surveys, experiments, simulations, and advanced quantitative analysis. All courses will be taught with guidance from a tenured or tenure track UMass faculty mentor; extensive course preparation is not required.
After the completion of their first year of teaching, the lecturer may apply for support to design and teach a new course and an opportunity to earn additional compensation for teaching summer or intersession courses.
Requirements

  *   PhD in anthropology, communications, economics, political science, psychology, sociology, computer science, data science, or a related discipline.
  *   Demonstrated teaching and/or research interests in computational social science.
  *   Applicants with a background in digital humanities will also be considered.

https://careers.umass.edu/amherst/en-us/job/520262/lecturer-data-analytics-computational-social-science-dacss

We look forward to receiving your inquiries and applications or those of your students!
--
Justin H. Gross
Director, Data Analytics & Computational Social Science<https://www.umass.edu/social-sciences/academics/dacss> Program