Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 2006 04:02:59 -0500
Dear Colleagues,

The number of proposals that were submitted for the 2006 MPSA conference was higher than expected, increasing by about 20% compared to the 2005 conference. The number of papers accepted has increased accordingly, producing the largest program ever at the MPSA, with about 4,000 individuals on the program and about 3,200 papers.

We have posted a detailed index on the conference website (see www.mwpsa.org). This lists the DAY and TIME of every presentation for all the participants in the conference. It will also list the ROLE (e.g. Chair, Discussant, Panelist, Poster) and the paper title if appropriate. This should allow presenters to make arrange their travel; a complete preliminary program that lists the panels, posters, roundtables and an overview of the presentations will be avaiable soon.

The conference will be held in about two months, and I want to remind you all of a few key details.

First, please be sure to make HOTEL RESERVATIONS right away. As I have mentioned, the size of the program has increased by about twenty percent, and it is likely that the Palmer House Hilton will run out of rooms. Further, the conference registration rate is discounted for people who stay in the Palmer House hotel. Reservations may be made on-line at: http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/groups/private_groups/chiphhh_mwp/index.jhtml. You can also call the toll-free reservation line: 1-800-HILTONS (445-8667), the conference code is MWP. Small, "Studio Singles" are available for students at a rate of $99.00/USD per night (phone reservations only - call 800-445-8667). The studio singles are small and have just a single bed. If rooms run out, contact our office and we can let you know if there are any current overflow options ([log in to unmask]).

Second, REGISTER FOR THE CONFERENCE. You can register on-line at https://www.indiana.edu/~mpsa/cgi-bin/directionsold.html, or you can print out a registration form at: http://www.indiana.edu/~mpsa/conferences/Membership%20and%20Registration%20Form%20MPSA%202006.pdf. If you print out the PDF form, you can simply FAX it to our offices (812-856-7137). Late registration and on-site registration rates are higher.

Third, receive DISCOUNTED AIRFARES through American Airlines. Reservations on American Airlines can be made by calling 1-800-433-1790. The Meeting Desk hours are: 5:00 am to 12:00 midnight (CST), seven days a week. Tickets will be available at 5% discount rates or 10% off regular rates at the time of purchase, and must be made seven days in advance. Refer to Index Number: A6046AM when making reservations (travel must occur between April 17, 2006 and April 26, 2006).

Fourth, there is an OPPORTUNITY FOR YOUR TOP UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS TO PRESENT their original research at the 2006 Conference. The Teaching Political Science section is forming poster sessions (and possibly additional informal roundtables) that will be held on Saturday, April 22. These sessions are open to undergraduate research from all areas of political science. We do require that each undergraduate have a faculty sponsor who will attend the poster session. A submission form is on the MPSA website, and it must include the names of both the student and sponsoring faculty member (and should come preferably from the faculty members' email account). The research must be original and part of a senior or honors thesis class or regular term papers if the supervising faculty member attests to originality of the work. We may limit each college or university to two slots for student posters. Space for poster session is not competitive, but rather is allotted on a "first come, first serve" basis. The deadline for submissions is February 28th, 2006. All attendees will be required to register for the conference (though the undergraduate rates are very low).

We will send you additional information over the next several weeks.

I look forward to seeing you in Chicago!

-will

William Morgan, Ph.D.

MPSA