From:
"Abel, Dennis" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Political Methodology Society <[log in to unmask]>, Abel, Dennis
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2023 15:08:59 +0000
Dear All,

We invite paper submissions to a three-day workshop on Earth Observation Data in the Social Sciences which aims to bring together scholars at all career stages and allow for a deep discussion of papers which focus on the utilization of Earth observation data. Linking Earth observation data with social science data sources such as surveys or digital behavioural data offers great potential for studying micro-level attitudes and behaviour as well as macro-level policymaking in subject areas such as climate adaptation, environmental degradation, or local pollution. At the same time, researchers face methodological, legal, and ethical challenges. We would therefore like to address the possibilities and limitations of this data source and facilitate an exchange of expertise and best practices in our workshop.

The organizers welcome papers in a broad range of topics and methods. We invite both methodological contributions as well as substantial research papers and are particularly interested in papers that rely on innovative methods, experimental research designs, and which seek to explore advancements in the operationalization of Earth observation data for social scientific research.

The workshop will take place in person at GESIS - Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences in Cologne, Germany from December 13th to 15th. We plan to have an in-depth and rich discussion of up to twelve papers, engage in dynamic social interactions, and welcome our keynote lecturer Prof. Peter D. Howe from Utah State University (https://peterhowe.org/).

Registration is free. Further information on the institute is available here: https://www.gesis.org/en/home.

Paper abstracts (max. 500 words) should be submitted to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> by August 6th. Decisions will be emailed in early August.

Early-career researchers and those traditionally underrepresented in social sciences (e.g., women, LGBTQI+, first generation graduates, ethnic minorities) are strongly encouraged to apply.

GESIS - Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences

Dr. Dennis Abel
Postdoctoral Researcher
Department for Survey Data Curation
Team Survey Data Augmentation