From:
Christina Maimone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Political Methodology Society <[log in to unmask]>, Christina Maimone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2023 20:56:40 +0000
As a polisci phd who got my first job from this list many years ago, I hope those of you interested in non-faculty positions still in an academic environment consider applying to join our team.  We work with a lot of social scientists, and we’d like to add another social scientist to our team.  Some flexibility in start date is possible.  Please reach out if you have questions!

Northwestern University IT Research Computing Services is hiring a Data Scientist<https://careers.northwestern.edu/psp/hr857prd_er/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=47777&PostingSeq=1>.

Join a group of Data Scientists providing consultations, training, and collaborative project support for researchers across the university.  Our team members come from a spectrum of backgrounds and research domains, and we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment. We offer competitive pay and provide extensive opportunities for professional development. For more information about our team, please see our website<https://www.it.northwestern.edu/departments/it-services-support/research/staff/>.  This position is in Evanston, IL.

Responsibilities:

  *   Provide data science support: Support researchers by collecting and organizing data; writing scripts and software programs; analyzing, modeling, and visualizing data; recommending predictive and statistical analysis approaches; and providing other data science services as a part of collaborative research projects.
  *   Deliver data science training: Develop and teach technical workshops on data science, programming, and data visualization topics for researchers.
  *   Develop and communicate analysis strategies: Provide short-term consultation support to researchers at all levels: assess researchers' data and computational challenges or problems and develop strategies to address those problems.  Communicate the steps necessary to accomplish a data-centered task to researchers of varying levels of technical background and expertise.
  *   Support service operations: Perform organizational, planning, and logistical tasks required to ensure the efficient operation of data science services, such as organizing workshops and ensuring consultation requests are fulfilled.
  *   Student mentorship: Mentor undergraduate and graduate student data science consultants working with the team.
  *   Documentation: Write both technical and non-technical documentation of projects, code, and consultations.
  *   Team collaboration: Work together with Research Computing Services colleagues, school/college partners, other IT groups, the library, and other university data science groups to provide integrated support for the research computing and data needs of Northwestern researchers.

Full details and application<https://careers.northwestern.edu/psp/hr857prd_er/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=47777&PostingSeq=1>

Christina Maimone
Associate Director, Research Data Services
Northwestern IT Research Computing Services<https://www.it.northwestern.edu/departments/it-services-support/research/index.html>