From:
Paul Gronke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2006 14:01:30 -0700
Tom,

I've been using the SDA analysis system from berkeley with a lot of
success (sda.berkeley.edu).  If the planets align right, there is a good
chance that a textbook will come out in a year or two dedicated to
political science that integrates this explicitly into the materials.
For now, please email me directly, or go to http://www.reed.edu/~gronkep
and look at the listings under courses, "Political Science 210" to see
how I use this for the class.

Also, search for the IDEAAS system at the University of Denver.  They
have a whole set of online manuals that can serve as a sort of
introduction to both the system and to statistics, albeit at a purely
intuitive level.

The SDA system is the same program as the "DAS" system at ICPSR.  I
think the system is better than, say, MicroCase because the ramp up time
is so much lower.  The major negative is that they don't learn a program
like Stata, SPSS, etc.  But you can have them running analyses w/in 15
minutes.

Tom Holbrook wrote:
> I'm working on developing an on-line undergraduate data analysis course and
> was wondering if anyone has experience doing this.  I'd appreciate any tips
> concerning books and stats programs that might be particularly appropriate
> for the on-line course environment.   The in-class version of this course
> takes students from frequencies up through some elementary multiple
> regression.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom
>
> Thomas M. Holbrook
> Wilder Crane Professor of Government
>
> Department of Political Science
> UW-Milwaukee
> 3210 N. Maryland Avenue
> Milwaukee, WI 53211
>
> www.uwm.edu/~holbroot
> 414-229-6468
> 414-229-5021 (Fax)

>           http://polmeth.wustl.edu/polmeth.php

Paul Gronke                  Direct phone:      503-517-7393
Dept. of Political Science   E-Fax (preferred): 440-274-8159 **NEW**
Reed College                 Local fax:         503-777-7776
3203 SE Woodstock Blvd
Portland, OR 97202           http://www.reed.edu/~gronkep