From:
Jim Battista <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2006 10:36:37 -0500
Robert W. Walker wrote:
> Though this does not exactly answer your question, could you jitter
> the x-axis and use three different colors?

This is one suggestion I've gotten. As a service to others, people have
offered:

(1)  Use R to calculate the boundaries of the polygons and shade manually.

(2)  Use Stata to plot range-spikes with highly dense data and jittered
x values so that the overlaps blend visually.

(3)  Use R, and specify colors with col=rgb(R,G,B,A) where A is the
alpha level, proving to my embarrassment that this was actually trivial
in R.  Doing this requires output using

pdf("filename.pdf", version = "1.4")

This apparently also works with hsv(), if you like that color space better.

(4)  Dump an R or Stata graph to wmf and apply transparency in Word, or
Some Other Editor.

Thanks everyone,

Jim

--
James S. Coleman Battista
Dept. of Political Science, Univ. of North Texas