Date:
Sun, 29 Jun 2008 14:09:18 -0500
Title:      Measurement Error as a Threat to Causal Inference:
Acquiescence Bias and Deliberative Polling

Authors:    G. Michael Weiksner

Entrydate:  2008-06-29 13:38:45

deliberative polling, measurement error, questionnaire design

Abstract:   Experiments, unlike observational studies, are
rarely criticized for yielding invalid causal inferences.
However, I identify measurement error as a threat to causal
inference of an experiment.  In particular, acquiescence bias, a
common and substantial source of measurement error within
surveys, may be correlated with experimental manipulations.
Using data from a survey experiment embedded in a Deliberative
Poll, I find that acquiescence bias causes significant
measurement error and that the bias differs before and after
deliberation.  I conclude that even experimental researchers
should heed the recommendation by questionnaire design
researchers to refrain from asking agree/disagree questions
completely and instead ask only construct-specific questions to
avoid this threat to validity.

http://polmeth.wustl.edu/retrieve.php?id=762