From:
Jan Maly <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Political Methodology Society <[log in to unmask]>, Jan Maly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2023 16:52:11 +0100
Dear colleagues,

I am writing on behalf of the European Digital Democracy Network
(https://www.eddy-network.eu/). We are an interdisciplinary network that
aims to bring together academics and practitioners actively working on
or with digital democracy, to foster collaboration and knowledge
exchange. After organizing several successful online events, we are now
announcing our first in-person event, with keynote speakers from
different scientific disciplines, including  political science (Fabrizio
Gilardi, Digital Democracy Lab, University of Zurich and Carolina
Plescia, University of Vienna), and practice.

So far, our network mostly reached practitioners and academics from
computer science and philosophy, but is missing the voice of political
science, which is so crucial to the discussion of digital democracy.
Therefore, we would be delighted to receive proposals for contributed
talks from political scientists and to see you in Rotterdam in April.
For more information, see the Call for Contributions below.

Best regards,
Jan Maly

Call for Contributions: ‘Digital Democracy: Bridging Theory and
Practice’, 1st Conference of the European Network for Digital Democracy,
Rotterdam (The Netherlands)

The European Digital DemocracY network <https://www.eddy-network.eu/>
(EDDY) aims to bring together academics and practitioners actively
working on or with digital democracy, to foster collaboration and
knowledge exchange. After a successful series of online events, EDDY is
proud to announce its first in-person conference, ‘Digital Democracy:
Bridging Theory and Practice’, taking place at the Erasmus University of
Rotterdam, The Netherlands, from *Tuesday 9 April to Thursday 11 April
2024*.

The event will feature contributed talks through an open call (see
below), a range of social and interactive sessions (networking,
round-table discussions, demo sessions, student sessions, etc.), and a
variety of academic and non-academic keynote speakers: Markus Brill
<https://sites.google.com/site/brillmarkus/> (University of Warwick),
Corinne Cath <https://corinnecath.com/> (Delft University of Technology,
University of Cambridge), Fabrizio Gilardi
<https://fabriziogilardi.org/> (Digital Democracy Lab, University of
Zurich), Carolina Plescia <https://www.carolinaplescia.com/> (University
of Vienna), and Simon Strohmenger
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/simon-strohmenger-296725236/> (CONSUL, Mehr
Demokratie).

We are opening two tracks for selected contributions at the conference:
the /talks/ track and the /demos/ track. If you are an academic or a
practitioner whose work is related to digital democracy, we invite you
to submit a one-page description/abstract via this Oxford Abstracts page
<https://app.oxfordabstracts.com/stages/6984/submitter>, by *1 February
2024* to either of our tracks:

  * *Talks track*. Selected talks will be given 20-30 minutes
    presentation time in the program. There will be no proceedings
    associated with the conference, so you are welcome to submit work
    that has been previously published by other conferences, journals,
    and so on.

  * *Demos track*. Selected demos will take place in parallel during a
    dedicated session, where you will be given access to a table and
    internet connection (‘bring your own laptop’ setup). Participants of
    the conference will be able to freely roam and join the different
    demos.

We welcome contributions from both academics and practitioners on any of
the following topics, in relation to digital democracy: online
deliberation, liquid democracy, the public sphere, apps and tools for
online decision-making, machine learning, crowdsourcing, the digital
divide, participatory budgeting, computational social choice, digital
identities, social media, popular will, cryptocurrencies & blockchain,
secrecy vs. publicity of votes and opinions. We particularly welcome
submissions by students and early career scholars or practitioners.

Contributions will be selected on the basis of their connection to
EDDY’s goals, with an eye toward the conference’s multi-,
cross-disciplinary target audience and the diversity of projects and
contributors. Depending on the number of submissions, some contributions
may be selected for a poster presentation instead. Notification of
acceptance will be sent by 15 February 2024.

This event is made possible thanks to funding and support by the Dutch
Research Council (NWO) via Frederik Van De Putte’s VIDI project ENCODE
and Ulle Endriss’s VICI project Collective Information, by the Erasmus
School of Philosophy, Erasmus University of Rotterdam, and by the
Erasmus Initiative Societal Impact of AI.

For more information, see our website
<https://www.eddy-network.eu/in-person-conference/> or write to
[log in to unmask] to contact any of EDDY’s core committee members:
Jan Maly (TU Wien), Ashley Maum (Framer Framed), Arianna Novaro (Paris 1
University), Frederik van de Putte (Erasmus University Rotterdam).