From:
Robert O'Reilly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 2013 21:11:52 -0400
Hello, Marko.  I would suggest that you contact the folks at GESIS in
Cologne in Germany: http://www.gesis.org/en/eurobarometer/data-access/.
GESIS has very extensive Eurobarometer holdings - certainly moreso than the
ICPSR.  So if there are restricted-access versions of Eurobarometer
microdata files available, they will likely know of them - and are much
more likely to respond to you than anyone at the EU.  GESIS is also the
home for the ISSP data, so they'll be able to answer your questions there
as well.

Rob

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 9:24 PM, Marko Klasnja <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hello colleagues,
>
> I was wondering if anyone knows whether it is at all possible to get more
> detailed geographical data for respondents in the Eurobarometer surveys
> than is currently available in the publicly released files.  Currently, the
> publicly available data contain:
>
> - country ID
> - region ID
> - type of community (urban vs. rural)
> - size of community (by some population thresholds; occasionally).
>
> I am interested in identifiers at the community, municipality or county
> level (whichever is a relatively small administrative unit in a country).
> As many of you know, for most countries, the region variable is still at
> quite a macro level.  I have written to [log in to unmask] twice,
> but received no reply. I understand that any additional geographic
> identifiers may be sensitive, but some databases (e.g. the GSS) provide
> such identifiers through a special procedure (requiring IRB approval).  I
> haven't been able to find any information if folks at the Eurobarometer
> would be willing to consider doing the same, if they haven't already done
> so.
>
> Any information is greatly appreciated. Also, ff anyone has information on
> the same question for other similar cross-country surveys, such as the
> World Values Survey or the ISSP, I'd be very interested to hear about them
> too.
>
> Best,
>
> Marko Klasnja
> PhD Candidate