From:
Kevin Quinn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jun 2014 11:01:22 -0700
I am very pleased to announce that Jake Bowers, Mark Fredrickson, and Costas Panagopoulos are the 2014 winners of the Society for Political Methodology's 2014 Miller Prize for the best article published in Political Analysis for their article "Reasoning about Interference in Randomized Studies". Please join me in congratulating them on this prestigious honor.

The citation from the award committee (David Nickerson (chair), Devin Caughey, Justin Grimmer, and Brad Jones) is the following:

Bowers, Fredrickson, and Panagopoulos's "Reasoning about Interference Between Units: A General Framework" exemplifies rigorous, creative, and useful work in political methodology. Using Fisher/Rosenbaum-style randomization inference, the article tackles an difficult and pervasive problem---interference among units---in a novel and compelling way. Rather than treating spillover effects as a nuisance to be marginalized over or, worse, ignored, Bowers et al. use them as an opportunity to test substantive questions regarding interference. In doing so, they push randomization inference further than any previous work, showcasing its capacity to assess models much more theoretically sophisticated and scientifically interesting than the sharp null hypothesis of no effects. Their work also brings together causal inference and network analysis in an innovative and compelling way, pointing the way to future convergence between these domains. Finally, they do it all with care, transparency, and rigor. We expect their work to receive wide attention both within and outside the discipline.

Please join me in thanking the award committee as well as the many individuals who submitted nominations for this award.

KQ

Kevin Quinn
Professor of Law
UC Berkeley School of Law