From:
Jeffrey Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Sep 2009 15:40:38 -0700
Paul,

It depends on how many addresses that you want to look up.   You can
manually look up the block and tract info for addresses at
factfinder.census.gov.   If you have a few more addresses than you would
want to do by hand, it is pretty easy to write a program that would
scrape the block and tract info off the factfinder site.   If you have
to do a say 50k addresses or more, then you have a bigger problem for
which there are many solutions none of which are going to be super easy
to implement given the time, background, and budget that your student
has available.

Best,

Jeff

On 09/28/2009 02:01 PM, Paul Gronke wrote:
> Colleagues
>
> I have a senior writing a thesis who would like to track changing
> patterns of campaign donations.  He's interested in replicating and
> extending Michael Malbin's work on how patterns of donations have
> changed over the past few cycles.
>
> I would like him to attach Census demographic information to the FEC
> campaign donations dataset (actually, he's downloaded these from open
> secrets).
>
> I am not familiar with how you attach a Census tract or block
> identifier to an address, and if this can be done in a relatively
> straightforward (and not overly expensive) way.  The student is fairly
> adept with Stata but not tremendously so.  This is something I'm not
> averse to learning myself, but I am hoping to find an off the shelf
> solution, or perhaps someone that has already done with with the 2008,
> 2004, and 2000 files and might be willing to share a dataset.
>
> Thank you
> Paul G.
>
> ---
> Paul Gronke               Ph: 503-517-7393
> Professor                    Fax:
> Reed College
> 3203 SE Woodstock Blvd.
> Portland OR 97202