From:
James Fowler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 2006 06:31:09 -0700
Hello all,

At the request of several colleagues who are swamped preparing for the
MPSA conference, we have extended the deadline for submission of
strategies to our $1000 Tournament of Party Strategies.  We include the
original call below.

We look forward to receiving your entries!

Best,
james and mik

--------------------------------

A TOURNAMENT OF PARTY STRATEGIES

James H. Fowler
University of California, Davis

Michael Laver
New York University

In the spirit of Robert Axelrod's tournament for strategies in the
repeat-play prisoner's dilemma game, we announce a tournament for party
strategies in a dynamic agent-based spatial model of party competition.

The winner will receive $1000.

We herewith call for submissions of party strategies by 30 APRIL 2006.
Each strategy submitted will be pitted against each other strategy in a
series of long-running simulations of a two-dimensional multiparty spatial
model in which the number of parties is endogenously determined. All
parties falling below a certain size threshold for two consecutive
elections will "die". One new party will be "born" each election at a
random spatial location, using a strategy randomly selected from the
portfolio of submitted strategies. The strategy most successful at winning
votes over the very long run will be declared the "winner".

Please visit http://jhfowler.ucdavis.edu/tournament.htm for complete
rules and details.