From:
Nathaniel L Beck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Aug 2020 13:55:44 -0400

​Hi all

Mike Alvarez and I edit a computational and statistical social science series of Elements for Cambridge University Press

  https://www.cambridge.org/core/series/elements-in-quantitative-and-computational-methods-for-the-social-sciences/89FF8C290D36FE56260D8306972A6323

which will soon have Shawna Metzger's Element on using simulations via Shiny for teaching methods, both undergrad and grad. The Element will be published about the first of the year. But with so many of us teaching remote, and with the Shiny apps both being very useful and also very user friendly, the element and the associated apps are being made availalbe under Cambridge's Open Access Pre-publication program. These are ready to go and the ms in pdf is essentially what CUP will make available on its Core (with more bells and whistles).

From Shawna:

As you finalize your methods syllabi for an unusual fall semester, one of the forthcoming works in Cambridge's Elements series may help.    Shawna Metzger's   Using Shiny to Teach Econometric Models   has half a dozen interactive web apps that illustrate key regression fundamentals such as:

The intuition behind least squares estimation

The intuition behind maximum likelihood estimation

The effect of Gauss-Markov violations on OLS estimates

Comparing the relative efficiency of common estimators in the presence of Gauss-Markov violations

The apps are intended for both undergraduate and graduate student use.    They are all available   here (https://bit.ly/33XRLgI)   (https://bit.ly/33XRLgI)   for you and your students to use without any additional setup on your part.    The page also contains brief summaries of each app's purpose.

The Element's full manuscript is also available   here (https://bit.ly/3kHPk7O)   (https://bit.ly/3kHPk7O)   until its official release by Cambridge later this year or early next.    It contains summaries of what key ideas you can use the apps to show, more detailed walkthroughs of each app's features, some potential student activities, and a broad overview of the apps' structure for those interested in making modifications.

From Neal: I hope readers on this list find these useful. I know I make heavy use of simulations in teaching methods, and these apps make the task for instructors tons easier and make life simple for students (and hence for TAs). As noted, this is particularly important in the time of covid-19.

Good health to all

Neal