From:
Peter Enns <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Political Methodology Society <[log in to unmask]>, Peter Enns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 02:08:58 +0000
Greetings,

We are looking to hire someone to work with us on our 2024 US Presidential Electoral College forecast. Our 2020 forecast, conducted more than 100 days prior to the election, correctly predicted the 2020 vote<https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/11/12/we-predicted-states-biden-would-win-100-days-before-election/> outcome in every state but one. The person hired will be invited to co-author on published work from the project. The position can be remote.

Key responsibilities include downloading and cleaning relevant public opinion and economic data, merging data, estimating Multilevel Regression with Poststratification (MRP) models, generating tables and figures, and (if desired), helping write up results.

The position will begin in January or early February and extend through August. We expect it will require approximately 10 to 20 hours/week, though there can be some flexibility from week-to-week if desired.

The work involved is at the level of a social science PhD with specialization in quantitative methods, but there are no formal degree requirements. We recognize that multiple paths exist to data and statistical software expertise. This position might be a particularly good fit for recent PhDs, students completing a PhD, or individuals with strong data skills considering a PhD. We encourage anyone with relevant skills and experience to apply.

Required

  1.  Familiarity with Stata and R and extensive experience/expertise with at least one of these
  2.  Excellent attention to detail
  3.  Excellent written and in-person communication
  4.  Ability to work independently and meet deadlines

Strongly preferred

  1.  Project management experience
  2.  Experience cleaning, merging, and/or working with numerous and/or complex datasets
  3.  Research experience with MRP models and/or statistical prediction and uncertainty modelling

To apply<https://cornell.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/CornellCareerPage/details/Remote-Part-time-Data-Quantitative-Research-Position_WDR-00041370-1?q=WDR-00041370>: For full consideration, submit the following<https://cornell.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/CornellCareerPage/details/Remote-Part-time-Data-Quantitative-Research-Position_WDR-00041370-1?q=WDR-00041370> by Monday, December 11, 2023. Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.

  1.  CV or resume
  2.  Cover letter clearly indicating why you are interested in the position, evidence of required and strongly preferred criteria/skills (please list each criterion/skill in bold before providing evidence), and references who can speak to your skills and experiences (letters of reference will not be considered at this point).

Sincerely,

Peter Enns
Professor of Government and Professor of Public Policy, Cornell University
Co-founder and Chief Data Scientist, Verasight<https://www.verasight.io/>

and

Julius Lagodny
Data Analyst, El Pato
Research Fellow, Hertie School Data Science Lab

Peter Enns

Professor of Government and Professor of Public Policy
Robert S. Harrison Director, Cornell Center for Social Sciences<https://socialsciences.cornell.edu/>
Cornell University

Collaborative Midterm Survey<https://socialsciences.cornell.edu/funding-programs/2022-collaborative-midterm-survey>
Books: Hijacking the Agenda<https://www.amazon.com/Hijacking-Agenda-Economic-Political-Influence/dp/087154573X>, Incarceration Nation<https://www.cambridge.org/us/academic/subjects/sociology/criminology/incarceration-nation-how-united-states-became-most-punitive-democracy-world?format=PB>, Who Gets Represented?<http://www.russellsage.org/publications/who-gets-represented>