Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2006 16:55:19 -0400
From my perspective, reading C is a lot easier than reading Stata code.
I agree with the global point (it's hard enough to replicate what people
do already), but increasingly we will have to adopt the idea that making
data available isn't enough.  One will also need to provide documented
code, including seemingly minor choices like random number seeds and the
rest.  I think it mistaken to assume a priori that one language is easier
than another (though I'd make a case for Python or C); rather, it is how
many of us use a given language that increases the chances that a
community can evaluate a given piece of work.

That said, I'd like to recommend an empirical approach.  Some languages /
packages clearly work better than others for the tasks that most of us do,
and a little benchmarking of the sort Sekhon has done (and we are in
process of doing at Duke -- results to follow) would reveal a lot.
Stata, for example, has released a version that runs on multiple cores,
that for some tasks (but not all you'd think of) makes things faster
without requiring people to learn parallel programming.  R, as another
example, does poorly for large data sets, though it does have some very
cool libraries (e.g., http://jackman.stanford.edu/papers/download.php?i=1
or http://cran.r-project.org/doc/packages/wnominate.pdf).

Last, if I were just starting out and wanted a combination of speed, ready
access to quality libraries, and a clean format (e.g., for those of you
who hate `var' style stata notation), learning C + matlab is very
powerful.  Social scientists don't tend to use matlab (thus violating my
point above), but lots of other scientists do.

Best
Scott