From:
Paul Gronke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2006 10:22:23 -0700
Thanks to Larry and Peter for the updates.

I posted this primarily because I've found the whole exchange a lively
and productive teaching module, at least for advanced undergraduates.

Frank raises a question that many undergraduates raise--how and why is
the Republican party successful in attracting and holding the loyalties
of voters who, on objective economic grounds, ought to be voting for the
Democrats.

The rejoinders and re-rejoinders provide additional grist for
discussion.  How do you measure working class?  What constitutes
objective interests?  What is the right research design (surveys, focus
groups, ethnographic studies, aggregate analyses) for measuring these
interests and testing these models?  Is there anything non-rational
about voting on the basic of moral commitments vs. economic interests?

You can follow this exchange with the exchanges over Fiorina's "Culture
Wars" book (see the papers available at the Harvard Political Behavior
blog (thanks to Barry Burden, http://www.iq.harvard.edu/blog/pb/) and at
the "Forum" website (thanks to Nelson Polsby and Ray LaRaja
http://www.bepress.com/forum/).

Both make fine examples to chew over, replicate, and extend.