From:
Shawn Treier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Oct 2005 17:41:24 -0400
Actually, the UGA sequence is slightly different from what Stephen
described. It is also partially multi-tracked, since most students are
admitted first as MAs before being admitted as PhDs.  The current
sequence looks like
Ia. Research Design/Univariate Statistics
Ib. Introduction to Stata (1/3 course)
IIa. Bivariate Statistics/Regression (one week logit/probit)
IIb. Math prep (calculus and matrix algebra) (2/3 course)
III. Advanced stats/MLE

MA students must take Ia, Ib, IIa
PhD students must also take IIb and III in addition to the MA required
courses.

We also have a methods minor, but are still in the process of offering
advanced courses beyond III.

Stephen is probably correct that the FSU sequence probably is more
sensible, but we are currently revising this sequence. The most likely
proposal (starting next year) looks very similar to UC Davis I-IV,
with the actual division of content between the four courses still
subject to discussion:
I. Research Design
II. Basic Statistics/Probability/Stata
IIIa. Regression
IIIb. Math prep
IV. Advanced stats/MLE
We will also begin offering topics courses beyond the MLE course that
can be applied to the methods minor. Initially, something simple like
duration analysis or TSCS.

>Stephen Shellman: University of Georgia
>
>Hi George.
>
>I am at Georgia and we require 3 courses - scope and methods, baby
>stats, and regression (with some logit/probit).
>
>I prefer the Florida State model where I did my grad work.
>
>4 courses:
>I. Scope & Methods
>II. Quantitative Analysis(Baby Stats - paired sample t-tests,
>chi-square/contingency tables, ANOVA, basic multivariate regression)
>III. Regression (with some simulataneous equation stuff & structural
>equation modeling)
>IV. Advanced Quantitative Analysis (MLE/Time Series)
>
>To get a minor, I believe you have to take 3 additional courses - one >of
>which may be at ICPSR. One of which may be "Game Theory"
>
>They also offer advanced courses like: Time Series Analysis
>
>So to get my Methods Minor, I took the 4-course sequence (required by
>all Ph.D. Students), Game Theory, Simultaneous Equations at ICPSR,
>and Time Series in my Dept.
>
>They also allowed you to take advanced courses in the Econ or Stats depts
>for credit if approved.
>
>Hope this helps.....
>
>Steve
>
>Stephen M. Shellman
>Director, Project Civil Strife
>Director, Summer Workshop On Teaching about Terrorism
>
>Assistant Professor
>Department of International Affairs
>University of Georgia
>http://www.arches.uga.edu/~smshel