From:
Doug Gibler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Political Methodology Society <[log in to unmask]>, Doug Gibler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2023 09:57:55 -0400
Dear Colleagues,

We are excited to announce the release of the International Conflict Data
Lab's suite of datasets covering the 1816 to 2014 time period:
https://internationalconflict.ua.edu/

Our Militarized Interstate Events (MIE) data codes approximately 30,000
directed threats, displays, and uses of force between two or more states
from 1816 to 2014, using Jones, Bremer, and Singer (1996) coding rules.
These data include several innovations.  First, no event has missing
fatalities.  We were able to code whether each case has fatalities and also
the approximate range of those fatalities.  Rather than use the traditional
fatality scale we use real estimates of the likely minimum and maximum
fatalities in the event.  Second, we introduce a new action called war
battle for organized battles between state forces.  Coding these events
allows for examinations of bargaining during wars; we do not stop coding
events once a fatality threshold is reached.  Third, we provide meaningful
ID numbers for events with missing days so researchers can examine how
conflicts evolve.  Fourth, we provide a Militarized Interstate
Confrontation Endings (MICEndings) dataset that codes how conflicts end
through agreements and other non-militarized-event methods.  These data can
recreate the traditional dispute-oriented data when used together with the
MIE data.  Finally, there are a host of other innovations in the data, and
we invite data users to read about these in the extensive codebooks for the
datasets.

We also provide Militarized Interstate Confrontation (MIC) data for the
1816-2014 time period or those who wish to examine conflict-level cases.
The Militarized Interstate Participants (MIP) data aggregates the data by
participant, and the Truly Dyadic Dyad-Year (TDD) data provides dynamic,
yearly data with highest actions and fatalities for each state in any
particular year.  Each of these datasets are internally consistent across
all levels.  We also provide datasets of formal war declarations and the
protest-dependent conflict cases, all covering the 1816-2014 time period.

There is a signup poll on the home page for those interested in future
updates to the data.  We have a page that compares our data with several
existing datasets.  We are also starting a blog that discusses research
design issues using the data as well as some problems we have seen with
past uses of conflict data.

These datasets were collected with the help of generous support from the
National Science Foundation and our universities.  Of course, any errors
contained in the data are our own and should be reported to us.  If you
have any questions about our data or future projects, please feel free to
reach out.

All best,

Doug Gibler and Steve Miller
https://internationalconflict.ua.edu/

Douglas M. Gibler
Professor of Political Science
Institute for Social Science Research
University of Alabama
http://dmgibler.people.ua.edu/

Steven V. Miller
Universitetlektor
Institutionen för ekonomisk historia och internationella relationer
Stockholms universitethttp://svmiller.com