From:
Simon Jackman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Aug 2005 16:56:36 -0700
Dear PolMethers,

Let me also say welcome to [log in to unmask]

You might have seen the recent post on the H-POLMETH list from
Matthew Gilmore, the VP for Networks at H-NET.  H-NET, you'll recall,
is the consortium that hosts e-mail lists and provides other internet
resources for scholarly communities, and is based at Michigan State.
http://www.h-net.org/about/

In light of Matthew's post, I thought I'd send out an e-mail
detailing why the section is hosting its own list.

If you haven't been to the section's web site lately -- http://
polmeth.wustl.edu -- check it out.  Andrew Martin and his crew at
WUSTL have done a nice job in improving the look and feel and
functionality of the site, with some financial support from the
section.  We now handle submissions to our summer meeting through the
site, archiving working papers is much easier than it used to be, and
so on.   Given our long-standing and considerable investment in our
web presence, it was a reasonably straightforward step to also host
an e-mail list, and I asked Andrew to start work on that a couple of
weeks ago.

Part of the reason to shift the mailing list was also prompted by
some issues we had with H-NET. In particular, H-NET has a policy that
no job announcements can be posted to the H-POLMETH list without
first being listed on the H-NET jobs site, which costs $75 per
listing.  See http://www.h-net.org/jobs/instructions.php
My view is that I want as few barriers as possible between schools
wanting to advertise jobs and our section's members.  And in
particular, I want to minimize the burdens on our list editor (who
is, by the way, Karen Jusko Long at Michigan).

Thus, we determined that it is more advantageous for us to run an e-
mail list ourselves, given (a) the considerable investment and
accumulated expertise we have in managing our web presence, (b) the
relatively low costs of hosting/archiving a single, small-to-medium
sized e-mail list these days, and (c) the job-posting-for-fee issue.
[log in to unmask] is a fully functioning list, with archives etc.
See http://polmeth.wustl.edu/polmeth.php  We've got a link to the H-
POLMETH logs at H-NET.  We hope that those logs stay up or that H-NET
lets us migrate them over to our site.

So that explains how we got to where we are.  I'm sorry that we upset
the folks at H-NET.  They provide many useful services to many
communities of scholars and I wish them well.

H-POLMETH is still alive and I suspect that when someone posts
something to "the list" (especially 1st timers or non-subscribers),
they might well inadvertently post to H-POLMETH instead of
Should your post be a job announcement -- as many posts are this time
of year -- you'll quickly discover which list you should be using:
once again, it is [log in to unmask]   H-NET may decide to
terminate H-POLMETH at some stage as well; that is up to them at this
point.

On behalf of the section, I again thank Andrew Martin and all at
WUSTL for getting the new list up and running, and Karen Jusko Long
for serving as list editor.

Sincerely

-- Simon Jackman

Simon Jackman, Assoc Prof and Director of Graduate Studies,
Dept of Political Science and (by courtesy) Dept of Statistics,
Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305-6044, USA.
http://jackman.stanford.edu
Director, Political Science Computational Lab. http://pscl.stanford.edu
President, Society for Political Methodology: http://polmeth.wustl.edu

ph: +1 (650) 723-4760  cell: +1 (650) 387 3019
fax: +1 (650) 723-1808