From:
Simon Jackman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Sep 2005 09:57:53 -0700
this is well travelled territory.  see:

@Article{western:apsr,
   author =      {Western, Bruce and Simon Jackman},
   title =      {Bayesian Inference for Comparative Research},
   journal =      apsr,
   volume =      88,
   year =         1994,
   pages =     {412--23}
}

@Article{berk95:_statis_infer_for_appar_popul,
   author =      {Berk, Richard A. and Bruce Western and Robert
E.~Weiss},
   title =      {Statistical Inference for Apparent Populations},
   journal =      {Sociological Methodology},
   year =      1995,
   volume =      25,
   pages =      {421-458}
}