From:
Kevin Esterling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Mar 2009 10:04:17 -0700
Registration is now open for the second annual West Coast Experimental
Political Science Conference.  You may view the preliminary program at

	http://tert.ucr.edu/public/preliminary_program.pdf

which has the schedule, registration information, contact information,
and other logistics.

We encourage anyone with an interest in experiments to attend; graduate
students are especially welcome, as well as those who are new to
experimental research.  This year's conference will have a "workshop"
feel.  Instead of standard conference presentations, we have asked the
presenters to focus each talk on one substantively or methodologically
interesting aspect of their experimental work. The goal is to give the
audience members applied, practical advice on methods and design, and to
demonstrate the range of substantive topics that experimental political
science can address.

There is no cost to register for the conference, but we do ask that you
follow the registration instructions so that we can get a head count of
who will attend.

Mat McCubbins
Kevin Esterling
(co-organizers)

West Coast Experimental Political Science Conference, 2009
Hosted by UCSD
May 15, 2009
10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

For the PDF version of the preliminary program, click to
http://tert.ucr.edu/public/preliminary_program.pdf

**** Schedule:

[Panel 1: Lab Experiments I] (10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.)

* Sean Gailmard (Berkeley)
"Moral Bias in Large Elections: Theory and Experimental Evidence" (with
Timothy Feddersen and Alvaro Sandroni)

* Nicholas Weller (USC)
"Connected Coordination: Network Structure and Group Coordination" (with
Daniel Enemark, Mathew McCubbins and Ramamohan Paturi)

	Moderator: Indridi Indridason (UC Riverside)

[Panel 2: Lab Experiments II] (11:00 a.m. to Noon)

* Dan Simon (USC Law)
"On the Objectivity of Investigations: An Experiment" (with Stephen J.
Read, Douglas M. Stenstrom)

* Cheryl Boudreau (UC Davis)
A lab experiment (TBA)

	Moderator: Rose McDermott (Stanford/Brown)

[Lunch and Lunchtime talk] (Noon to 1:30 p.m.)

	Mat McCubbins (on the future of the West Coast Conference)

[Panel 3: Field Experiments] (1:30 p.m. to 2:45 p.m.)

* Lynn Vavreck (UCLA)
Campaign Advertising Field Experiment (with Don Greene)

* Thad Kousser (UCSD)
"Mobilization of Vote-By-Mail Voters in the 2008 Election" (with Megan
Mullin and Kevin Arceneaux)

* Kevin Esterling (UC Riverside)
"The California-Speaks Healthcare Deliberation Experiment: Mixed and
Homogeneous Tables" (with Archon Fung and Taeku Lee)

	Moderator: Scott Desposato (UCSD)

[Panel 4:  Natural Experiments] (3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.)

* Neil Malhotra (Stanford)
"Happiness and Retrospective Voting: Natural Experiments Studying the
Effects of Sporting Victories on Election Results"

* James Fowler (UCSD)
"The Power to Propose: A Natural Experiment" (with Peter J. Loewen and
Royce Koop)

	Moderator: David Nickerson (Notre Dame)

[Panel 5: Wrap Up] (4:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.)

	Planning meeting for next year's conference

**** Logistics:

[Registration]
	There is no fee to register for the conference, but we need to get a
head count for lunch.  To register, simply send an email to
\href{mailto:[log in to unmask]@gmail.com}
to let us know you plan to attend.  If your plans change, please send an
email to this same address so we can take you off the list.

[Expenses]
	For the Friday of the conference, UCSD will provide lunch for everyone
who attends the conference.  You will need to cover all other expenses.

[Hotel]
	The conference hotel is the Del Mar Inn,
\url{http://www.delmarinn.com}, (800) 451-4515.  If you wish to stay
overnight, either Thursday night, Friday night, or both, you can call
the hotel directly.  Ask for the UCSD conference rate, which should be
in the ballpark of \$80 per night.

[Venue]
	The conference itself will be either at the Del Mar Inn, or on the UCSD
campus.  If it's at UCSD, transportation will be provided from the hotel.

[Contacts]
	If you have questions, you can contact either Daniel Enemark
\href{mailto:[log in to unmask]@ucsd.edu} or Kevin Esterling
\href{mailto:[log in to unmask]@ucr.edu}.

--

Kevin M. Esterling