From:
"Robert W. Walker" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2006 15:53:12 -0500
Hi All,

Continuing and expanding the off-topic:  BTW, it is COBOL (Common
Business Oriented Language).

I thought it silly that I had to take FORTRAN in college.  In
retrospect, I view it as one of the best forced choices that I have
ever [sort of] made because I can always fall back on it when the
clunky [though easier] R program that I write frustrates me.  Recall
that most of the errors that computers make are sitting in the chair
staring at the screen!

I think this is related to the original question, though.  The answer
depends on what you wish to use this package for.  R expands at an
alarming rate and tends to make it hard, though not impossible, to do
things that you do not understand [for free].  At a minimum, it takes
some effort!  Stata has made this process ridiculously easy; indeed,
I remember reading something recently about internal debates within
Stata Corp. about the extent to which they should protect users from
themselves.  R does not even try [BTW, someone earlier made a comment
about importing data to R.  This is one of the easy things, try the
\texttt{foreign} package]!  But, if you know what you are doing,
Stata makes many things quite fast and easy [at considerable cost for
both the software and the manuals to assist you in figuring it out].

Philosophically, I like the R idea because it creates incentive
compatibility in the development of data analytic techniques and
making such developments freely available.

My $.02 is to learn statistics; this will give you a decided
advantage!  Once you know exactly what you are trying to do,
programming is the easy part [even in C, C++, or FORTRAN].

Best,
RWW

On Oct 5, 2006, at 3:28 PM, Dan Williams wrote:

> Fortran still exists?  I thought it remained only in the scripting
> language
> of SAS (and, I suppose, SPSS).  Next you will tell me that COBAL is
> still
> used for development.  With small to medium size datasets you can do
> ANYTHING in a spreadsheet (I am talking thousands or even tens of
> thousands
> of observations these days).  But the advantage of commercial or
> widely
> examined open source software is that you don't have to conduct a
> tedious
> audit of your math to be sure that your results are correct.

Robert W. Walker
Assistant Professor
Department of Political Science
Program in Applied Statistics and Computation
Washington University in Saint Louis
Campus Box 1063
One Brookings Drive
Saint Louis, Missouri 63130-3899