From:
Paul Gronke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Apr 2015 11:38:37 -0400
As a local resident, and if people are planning on vacationing in our beautiful city before/after PolNet, a few links to lure you to the conference.

1) The Oregon Coast is worth a day trip or overnight.  It's a 90 minute drive from the airport/city.  There are many things to see; if you are interested, look at Cannon Beach and Manzanita.  Seaside is for the tourists.  Farther south there are spectacular hikes and views.  http://visittheoregoncoast.com/

2) Timberline Lodge was built by the WPA and is something to check off of your bucket list. You can drive there in 90 minutes from Portland and have a nice lunch.  Any other year, you could still see 10 foot snow drifts but we are in drought conditions.  The conditions right now look like they'd normally be in June (http://www.mthood.info/cameras/mt-hood-webCam-timberline2.html) .  Still, if it's a clear day, you can see 500 miles.  http://www.timberlinelodge.com/   If you have a half day, do the loop drive: PDX to Timberline to Hood River to PDX.

3) You want hiking?  How about 1000-3000 foot elevation gain, glorious views, all just 45 minutes away?  Check out the Columbia Gorge.  http://www.fs.usda.gov/crgnsa

4) Portland Pride Weekend is just before the conference (June 13-15) http://pdxpipeline.com/monthly-event-list/portland-june-events/.
The Oregon Garden Brewfest in Silverton overlaps with the conference, but continues the Sunday after the conference.
Somehow, PolNet failed to overlap with the world's biggest World Naked Bike Ride (http://pdxwnbr.org/) on June 27th.   I chalk that up to poor planning.

5) Dining and drinking guide.  We have a sort of active food culture.  Portland starts eating early (6 pm) and closes up shop early (10 pm).  You should get reservations if you intend to try to get in to some of the best restaurants; many don't take any reservations for parties less than 6.  I guess we like to wait.

Guide to Portland Food Carts: http://www.foodcartsportland.com/  There are more than 600 so you might as well try a few.

The Willamette Week, our local alternative weekly, has a great list of the top 100 restaurants, best cheap eats, and best bars.  http://www.wweek.com/portland/flex-214-food-drink.html    Foodie events can be found on their events calendar http://www.wweek.com/portland/flex-207-events_food.html#/97210-portland/16421-food-drink/today

Every Saturday morning, 8-2, there is a huge farmer's market in the Park Blocks and other Farmer's Markets all around the city.  http://www.portlandfarmersmarket.org/

6) Music: Live music courtesy of Willy Week.  Doobie Bros are in town. Oh joy!  http://www.wweek.com/portland/flex-217-events_live_music.html

Transport:  You will not need to rent a car to get from the airport to the conference hotel (though daily parking is a reasonable $12 since you are on PSU property).  I recommend taking Uber or the Max.

To catch the Max train, walk walk all the way to the eastern side of the airport from baggage claim or from the ticketing level.  There is a machine there that takes credit cards.  It will take 30-45 minutes to get downtown.  Hop off at the Transit Mall (4th/5th street) and then hop on any bus or Max train doing south.  Your transit ticket is good for 2.5 hours.  Get off at Lincoln and you have a 2 block walk to the hotel.

There are a number of car rental agencies right downtown if you decide to take a day trip.  We do not have a bike share system in Portland ;-(.  The Max / bus / streetcars are no longer free ("Fareless Square" disappeared a few years ago.)  Cabs in Portland are not as easy to grab as in other cities, but Uber and Lyft have just entered the market.   There is not a ton of stuff within easy walking distance of the hotel, but if you range a bit farther, there are dining and drinking options galore.

----
Paul Gronke

Professor, Reed College and
Daniel B. German Endowed Visiting Professor, Appalachian State University (2014-15)

http://earlyvoting.net