From:
Rodolfo Espino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Sep 2005 11:17:54 -0700
POLMETHers,

Now that APSA has come and gone, I would like to bring to your attention a call for proposals for the Western Political Science Association's Annual Meeting in 2006.  The meeting will be held in Albuquerque, NM on March 16-18, 2006.  The deadline for proposals is September 12.

As chair for the section on political methodology, I am told that we have been allocated three panels.  However, there is room for an increase, particularly for proposed panels or roundtables that reflect this years's conference theme of "Democracy and Diversity."  A link to submit proposals can be found at:

http://www.oir.csus.edu/wpsa/aParticipation.asp

The theme of this year's conference follows:

Democracy and Diversity

As societies and nations become increasingly diverse, political institutions both shape and reflect these changes. Democratic institutions frequently are viewed as the best means of protecting and promoting diverse interests. Is this an accurate view? Is it any more or less accurate given the circumstances today where the general enthusiasm accompanying the spread of democracy is tempered by sobering experiences of some countries that ventured down democracy's path (i.e., fraudulent or sabotaged elections, coups, and bloody civil conflict)? Additionally, when democracy is more broadly understood to include advancing conditions of civil liberties and social equality, there also is evidence of backsliding in some of the "older" democracies, including the United States. At some point, do the differences among citizens overwhelm democracy and its institutions? Obviously there will be other important questions or perspectives to consider regarding the specific nature of that diversity, the desired products of democracy, etc.

The theme of "Democracy and Diversity" may be interpreted in a variety of ways and is meant to accommodate the broad range of scholarly interests and overall inclusiveness of our association. We invite panel proposals that specifically incorporate the conference theme and encourage all authors to generally keep the theme in mind as they develop their papers/presentations. However, our expectation is that the panels organized within the 20 Sections of the program ultimately will reflect the profusion of subjects, methods and theories that comprise our diverse discipline.

Rodolfo Espino
Assistant Professor
Department of Political Science
Arizona State University