From:
Arthur Lupia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Nov 2005 16:38:12 -0500
Dear Polmeth subscribers,

        We are writing to ask for your advice on a time-sensitive matter
involving the ANES.

     On October 17, Stanford and Michigan announced that NSF has funded
a major expansion of the American National Election Studies, and we will
serve as principal investigators. In addition to the traditional
pre-election/post-election face-to-face interviews that will be
conducted in 2008, we will be launching some exciting new data
collection efforts, since the budget for the project has nearly tripled
(you can learn more about this announcement at www.electionstudies.org).

     One of these new efforts was required by NSF's call for proposals:
to collaborate with a long-term panel study to permit tracking a large,
nationally representative sample of respondents as far into the future
as possible.

     We have done so by joining forces with the National Longitudinal
Surveys (http://www.bls.gov/nls/home.htm), paying the cost of including
4 minutes of political questions in their questionnaires for the first
time in their history.  This is the first step toward collecting data
every two years on a very large cohort of young adults and their
parents.

     This is where you come in.  Data collection for this survey will
begin in just a few months, and NLS has given us until November 11 to
finalize the questions we will include.   We are writing to ask for your
advice about which questions would best serve the ANES user community.

     Here's some background on this study, called the CNLSY:

     The CNLSY began in 1986, collecting data biennially on all children
born to a large nationally representative cohort of American women (who
are interviewed biennially as well), and as these women had more
children, they have been added to the CNLSY sample. As of 2002, 7,467
were being studied (ranging in age from birth to 32 years). Children
completed various cognitive, socio-emotional, and physiological
assessment instruments, and information about the child has been
obtained from the child's mother. Children who are at least 15 years old
(4,238 in 2002) have been administered long questionnaires, documenting
household structure, religious experiences, dating and marriage,
schooling, military experience, employment, fertility, physical and
mental health, income and financial assets, self-esteem, attitudes
toward risk-taking, parent/child relations, computer use, substance use,
criminal activity, sexual activity, participation in community
activities, cognitive skills, and much, much more.

     Since time is very short, we are jumpstarting the conversation with
a list of questions for you to consider (see attached). We have selected
these questions with the following principles in mind:

  1) We can fill 4 minutes of survey time.

  2) We have been prohibited from measuring evaluations of specific
politicians or asking respondents which candidates they voted for or
would vote for.

  3) We therefore see at least two primary values of this data
collection effort (though there may be more):
      a. study the long-term dynamics and causes of voter turnout, and
      b. study inter-generational transmission and
similarity/differences of political attitudes and behavior (since we
will be asking questions of these respondents' parents as well).

  4) Because we are beginning a new study, we are free to design the
wording and formatting of questions in ways that are methodologically
optimal for maximizing reliability and validity, according to the large
accumulated literature on questionnaire design throughout the social
sciences.

  5) Because we intend for these questions to be repeatedly asked of
these respondents every two years throughout their lives, the questions
must be phrased in generic ways so that they retain their meaning over
time and are understood as similarly as possible by all subgroups of the
American public.

  6) We have used the ANES time series study questionnaires as a
starting point for generating the items we are proposing.

  7) We would like the questions to be of use to as many scholars as
possible.

     You should not feel a need to privilege these proposed questions if
you think that they are suboptimal.  If you would like to propose other
questions, please do.

     This attached proposed question set includes much more than four
minutes of questions, to give you an array of choices to consider.  By
the end of next week, we will have to cut this list down considerably.

     Please tell us your thoughts about how best to use the four
minutes. This many involve: rank ordering the questions we have
submitted, offering different questions, some combination of the two
activities, or some other form of feedback.

     We are happy to receive your comments by e-mail
([log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]), telephone (Jon:
650-725-3031; Skip: 734-647-7549), or fax (Jon: 650-725-2472; Skip:
734-764-3341), though we prefer email.  We need to hear from you by
NOVEMBER 9 at the latest.

     All future aspects of the new ANES will be designed with
considerably more formal and slow-paced guidance from scholars around
the world from multiple disciplines.  But unfortunately, this first step
of ours must be taken fast.  We really appreciate your willingness to
help us through this one.

Sincerely,

Jon Krosnick and Arthur Lupia
Principal Investigators
American National Election Studies

-----

Background Information from the Newly Funded ANES Proposal

"The innovation we propose is a partnership we have negotiated with the
Center for Human Resource Research (CHRR) at the Ohio State University.
Since the 1960s, CHRR has been conducting longitudinal surveys with
nationally representative panels of adults and children, funded by the
U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the National Institute of Child Health
and Human Development, and other federal agencies.  Our focus is on two
of these surveys: The National Longitudinal Survey of Youth (known as
the NLSY79) and the Children of the NLSY (CNLSY) Young Adult component."

 "We have been invited to include up to four minutes of questions in
each of the 2006 and 2008 Young Adult surveys.  In 2006, these questions
would be administered to respondents ages 21 or older.  In 2008, they
would be administered to all Young Adult respondents, subject to OMB
approval for those aged 15-20. We will then have access to all of the
data collected on those respondents in those years, plus all the data
collected on them in all previous years. We have reached a tentative
agreement that our four minutes of questions can include standard ANES
measures of interest in politics, exposure to political news, behavioral
participation in politics, voter registration status, voter turnout,
liberal/conservative ideology, attitudes on government policy issues,
political party identification, perceived parental political party
identification, perceived parental interest in politics, and frequency
of discussing politics with parents.  This list of questions can be
altered in response to feedback from the ANES community of scholars,
with approval from the NLSY79 Young Adult principal investigators."

"We view these invitations as exciting opportunities for political
scientists to vastly expand the palette of measures with which we can
correlate important political attitudes and behaviors and to offer new
opportunities to examine cross-generational correspondence, to
complement the original Jennings work.  In addition, because we can
administer the same questions in both the 2006 and 2008 CNLSY Young
Adult surveys, we can begin to conduct longitudinal analyses making the
most of the panel data to test causal hypotheses.  All this is possible
at remarkably minimal cost, because the burden of the expenses of these
surveys is being carried by other funding agencies.  If all goes well
with these collaborations, it may be possible for ANES to purchase even
more interview time on later waves of these surveys, though competition
for inclusion in their questionnaires is considerable.  Nonetheless, the
NLS PIs have terrific interest in exploring the political experiences of
their respondents for the first time and appreciate doing it in
partnership with political scientists and other social scientists with
expertise in the topic. Because the NLS community of scholars is
composed primarily of economists, sociologists, and psychologists, our
involvement in these surveys will considerably expand the
interdisciplinary potential of the ANES.  And like the ANES's own data
collections, the NLSY79 and CNLSY datasets are public goods, available
to all scholars."

MENU OF QUESTIONS TO CHOOSE AMONG FOR THE YA 2006 SURVEY

* REGISTRATION AND TURNOUT *

ANES20.
Are you currently registered to vote, or are you not registered?
     1. REGISTERED
     3. NOT REGISTERED
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES21.
Were you registered to vote in the 2004 U.S. Presidential Election, or
were you not registered?
     1. REGISTERED
     3. NOT REGISTERED
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES22.
In talking to people about elections, we often find that a lot of people
were not able to vote because they were sick or they just didn't have
time. How about you--did you vote in the 2004 U.S. presidential
election, or did you not vote in that election?
     1. VOTED
     3. DID NOT VOTE
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

* EFFICACY AND TRUST *

ANES17.
How much of the time do you think you can trust the government in
Washington to do what is right - Always, most of the time, about half
the time, rarely, or never?
     1. ALWAYS
     2. MOST OF THE TIME
     3. ABOUT HALF THE TIME
     4. RARELY
     5. NEVER
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES18.
How much do you think government officials care what people like you
think? A great deal, a lot, a moderate amount, a little, or not at all?
     1. A GREAT DEAL
     2. A LOT
     3. A MODERATE AMOUNT
     4. A LITTLE
     5. NOT AT ALL
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES19.
How much attention do you feel the federal government pays to what the
American people think when it decides what to do?  A great deal, a lot,
a moderate amount, a little, or none at all?
     1. A GREAT DEAL
     2. A LOT
     3. A MODERATE AMOUNT
     4. A LITTLE
     5. NONE AT ALL
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

* IDEOLOGY AND PARTY IDENTIFICATION *

ANES23.
When it comes to politics, do you usually think of yourself as liberal,
conservative, or neither liberal nor conservative?
     1. LIBERAL
     3. CONSERVATIVE
     5. NEITHER
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES23a.
(ASK IF ANES23=1)
Extremely liberal or moderately liberal?
     1. EXTREMELY LIBERAL
     2. MODERATELY LIBERAL
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES23b.
(ASK IF ANES23=3)
Extremely conservative or moderately conservative?
     1. EXTREMELY CONSERVATIVE
     2. MODERATELY CONSERVATIVE
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES23c.
(ASK IF ANES23=5,D)
Do you lean toward thinking of yourself as liberal, lean toward thinking
of yourself as conservative, or don't you lean either way?
     1. LEAN TOWARD LIBERAL
     2. LEAN TOWARD CONSERVATIVE
     3. DON'T LEAN EITHER WAY
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES24.
Generally speaking, do you usually think of yourself as a Democrat, a
Republican, an Independent, or what?
     1. DEMOCRAT
     2. REPUBLICAN
     3. INDEPENDENT
     4. OTHER PARTY
     5. NO PREFERENCE
     6. APOLITICAL
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES24a.
(ASK IF ANES25=4)
What party?
     SPECIFY: ______________________

ANES24b.
(ASK IF ANES24=1)
Would you call yourself a strong Democrat or a not very strong Democrat?
     1. STRONG
     3. NOT VERY STRONG
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES24c.
(ASK IF ANES24=2)
Would you call yourself a strong Republican or a not very strong
Republican?
     1. STRONG
     3. NOT VERY STRONG
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES24d.
(ASK IF ANES24=3,4,5,6,D)
Do you think of yourself as closer to the Republican party, closer to
the Democratic party, or equally close to both?
     1. CLOSER TO REPUBLICAN PARTY
     3. CLOSER TO DEMOCRATIC PARTY
     5. EQUALLY CLOSE
     7. NEITHER [VOLUNTEERED]
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

* INTEREST IN POLITICS AND INFORMATION EXPOSURE *

ANES01.
How interested are you in politics?  Extremely interested, very
interested, moderately interested, slightly interested, or not
interested at all?
     1. EXTREMELY INTERESTED
     2. VERY INTERESTED
     3. MODERATELY INTERESTED
     4. SLIGHTLY INTERESTED
     5. NOT INTERESTED AT ALL
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES02.
How often do you follow what's going on in government and public
affairs?  All the time, most of the time, about half the time, once in a
while, or never?
     1. ALL THE TIME
     2. MOST OF THE TIME
     3. ABOUT HALF THE TIME
     4. ONCE IN A WHILE
     5. NEVER
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES03.
During a typical week, how many days do you watch the news on TV?
     0-7. DAYS
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES04.
During a typical week, how many days do you read political news in a
newspaper or on the Internet?
     0-7. DAYS
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES05.
During a typical week, how many days do you listen to political news on
the radio?
     0-7. DAYS
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

* POLICY PREFERENCES *

ANES06.
Do you think that the government should provide fewer services to
people, should provide more services, or should provide about the same
number of services as it provides now?
     1. FEWER
     3. MORE
     5. ABOUT THE SAME
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES06a.
(ASK IF ANES06=1)
A lot fewer or somewhat fewer?
     1. A LOT FEWER
     3. SOMEWHAT FEWER
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES06b.
(ASK IF ANES06=3)
A lot more or somewhat more?
     1. A LOT MORE
     3. SOMEWHAT MORE
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES06c.
(ASK IF ANES06=5,7,D)
Do you lean toward government providing fewer services, lean toward
government providing more services, or don't you lean either way?
     1. LEAN TOWARD FEWER
     3. LEAN TOWARD MORE
     5. DON'T LEAN
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES07.
How much do you think the government should do to make sure that
everyone has an equal opportunity to succeed?  A great deal, a lot, a
moderate amount, a little, or nothing at all?
     1. A GREAT DEAL
     2. A LOT
     3. A MODERATE AMOUNT
     4. NOTHING AT ALL
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES08.
Do you favor, oppose, or neither favor nor oppose creating a government
insurance plan to pay for all of the medical and hospital expenses for
all Americans?
     1. FAVOR
     3. OPPOSE
     5. NEITHER FAVOR NOR OPPOSE
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES08a.
(ASK IF ANES08=1,3)
Strongly or not strongly?
     1. STRONGLY
     3. NOT STRONGLY
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES08b.
(ASK IF ANES08=5,7,D)
Do you lean toward favoring, lean toward opposing, or don't you lean
either way?
     1. LEAN TOWARD FAVORING
     3. LEAN TOWARD OPPOSING
     5. DO NOT LEAN EITHER WAY
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES09.
How much do you think the government in Washington should do to see to
it that no Americans live in poverty?
     1. A GREAT DEAL
     2. A LOT
     3. A MODERATE AMOUNT
     4. A LITTLE
     5. NOTHING AT ALL
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES10.
Do you favor, oppose, or neither favor nor oppose the death penalty for
people convicted of first degree murder?
     1. FAVOR
     3. OPPOSE
     5. NEITHER FAVOR NOT OPPOSE
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES10a.
(ASK IF ANES10=1,3)
Strongly or only somewhat?
     1. STRONGLY
     3. ONLY SOMEWHAT
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES10b.
(ASK IF ANES10=5,7,D)
Do you lean toward favoring it, lean toward opposing it, or don't you
lean either way?
     1. LEAN TOWARD FAVORING IT
     3. LEAN TOWARD OPPOSING IT
     5. DO NOT LEAN EITHER WAY
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

* GOVERNMENT SPENDING *

ANES11.
Should the amount of money the government spends on social security be
increased, decreased, or kept about the same?
     1. INCREASED
     3. DECREASED
     5. KEPT ABOUT THE SAME
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES11a.
(ASK IF ANES11=1)
Increased a lot or only somewhat?
     1. A LOT
     3. ONLY SOMEWHAT
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES11b.
(ASK IF ANES11=3)
Decreased a lot or only somewhat?
     1. A LOT
     3. ONLY SOMEWHAT
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES11c.
(ASK IF ANES11=5,7,D)
Do you lean toward increasing it, decreasing it, or don't you lean
either way?
     1. INCREASING IT
     3. DECREASING IT
     5. DO NOT LEAN EITHER WAY
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES12.
Should the amount of money the government spends on fighting crime be
increased, decreased, or kept about the same?
     1. INCREASED
     3. DECREASED
     5. KEPT ABOUT THE SAME
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES12a.
(ASK IF ANES12=1)
Increased a lot or only somewhat?
     1. A LOT
     3. ONLY SOMEWHAT
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES12b.
(ASK IF ANES12=3)
Decreased a lot or only somewhat?
     1. A LOT
     3. ONLY SOMEWHAT
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES12c.
(ASK IF ANES12=5,7,D)
Do you lean toward increasing it, decreasing it, or don't you lean
either way?
     1. INCREASING IT
     3. DECREASING IT
     5. DO NOT LEAN EITHER WAY
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES13.
Should the amount of money the government spends on protecting the
natural environment be increased, decreased, or kept about the same?
     1. INCREASED
     3. DECREASED
     5. KEPT ABOUT THE SAME
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES13a.
(ASK IF ANES13=1)
Increased a lot or only somewhat?
     1. A LOT
     3. ONLY SOMEWHAT
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES13b.
(ASK IF ANES13=3)
Decreased a lot or only somewhat?
     1. A LOT
     3. ONLY SOMEWHAT
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES13c.
(ASK IF ANES13=5,7,D)
Do you lean toward increasing it, decreasing it, or don't you lean
either way?
     1. INCREASING IT
     3. DECREASING IT
     5. DO NOT LEAN EITHER WAY
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES14.
Should the amount of money the government spends on education be
increased, decreased, or kept about the same?
     1. INCREASED
     3. DECREASED
     5. KEPT ABOUT THE SAME
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES14a.
(ASK IF ANES14=1)
Increased a lot or only somewhat?
     1. A LOT
     3. ONLY SOMEWHAT
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES14b.
(ASK IF ANES14=3)
Decreased a lot or only somewhat?
     1. A LOT
     3. ONLY SOMEWHAT
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES14c.
(ASK IF ANES14=5,7,D)
Do you lean toward increasing it, decreasing it, or don't you lean
either way?
     1. INCREASING IT
     3. DECREASING IT
     5. DO NOT LEAN EITHER WAY
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES15.
Should the amount of money the government spends on helping poor people
be increased, decreased, or kept about the same?
     1. INCREASED
     3. DECREASED
     5. KEPT ABOUT THE SAME
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES15a.
(ASK IF ANES15=1)
Increased a lot or only somewhat?
     1. A LOT
     3. ONLY SOMEWHAT
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES15b.
(ASK IF ANES15=3)
Decreased a lot or only somewhat?
     1. A LOT
     3. ONLY SOMEWHAT
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES15c.
(ASK IF ANES15=5,7,D)
Do you lean toward increasing it, decreasing it, or don't you lean
either way?
     1. INCREASING IT
     3. DECREASING IT
     5. DO NOT LEAN EITHER WAY
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES16.
Should the amount of money the government spends on the military be
increased, decreased, or kept about the same?
     1. INCREASED
     3. DECREASED
     5. KEPT ABOUT THE SAME
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES16a.
(ASK IF ANES16=1)
Increased a lot or only somewhat?
     1. A LOT
     3. ONLY SOMEWHAT
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES16b.
(ASK IF ANES16=3)
Decreased a lot or only somewhat?
     1. A LOT
     3. ONLY SOMEWHAT
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES16c.
(ASK IF ANES16=5,7,D)
Do you lean toward increasing it, decreasing it, or don't you lean
either way?
     1. INCREASING IT
     3. DECREASING IT
     5. DO NOT LEAN EITHER WAY
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

* PARENTS *

ANES25.
When you were growing up, did your mother think of herself mostly as a
Democrat, as a Republican, as an Independent or what?
     1. DEMOCRAT
     2. REPUBLICAN
     3. INDEPENDENT
     4. OTHER
     8. DOESN'T KNOW MOTHER'S BELIEFS
     9. R HAD NO MOTHER FIGURE (=>GO TO ANES27)
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES25a.
(ASK IF ANES25=4)
What party?
     SPECIFY: ______________________

ANES26.
How often did she follow what was going on in government and public
affairs? All the time, most of the time, about half the time, once in a
while, or never?
     1. ALL THE TIME
     2. MOST OF THE TIME
     3. ABOUT HALF THE TIME
     4. ONCE IN A WHILE
     5. NEVER
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES27.
Please think about your father, stepfather, or someone else who was most
like a father to you when you were growing up.  Did he think of himself
mostly as a Democrat, as a Republican, as an Independent or what?
     1. DEMOCRAT
     2. REPUBLICAN
     3. INDEPENDENT
     4. OTHER
     8. DOESN'T KNOW FATHER'S BELIEFS
     9. R HAD NO FATHER FIGURE (=>GO TO END)
     D. DON'T KNOW [VOLUNTEERED]
     R. REFUSED [VOLUNTEERED]
     N. NOT ASCERTAINED [VOLUNTEERED]

ANES27a.
(ASK IF ANES27=4)
What party?

ANES28.
How often did he follow what was going on in government and public