From:
Paul Gronke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2006 15:15:08 -0700
This might work:  http://www.vedit.com/download/ebcdic-2.txt

Here is a package that claims to convert and has a free 30 day full use demo

http://www.datamystic.com/textpipe/comp3_packed.html

I also recall doing this in SAS but LONG ago.

Joe Doherty wrote:
> Paul's message brings back unfond memories of the hours I wasted until a
> friend with SAS opened the file and saved it in SPSS format.
>
> Two comments:
> The ICPSR file ends in 1996, which limits it utility.  IMF sells a CD
> that has historical and current data.
>
> Also, the IMF CD stores the data in an MS-Access file, and includes a
> well-designed program to extract data (for the uninitiated).  IMHO,
> unless a person's research budget is absolutely zero, it's a more
> efficient use of time to buy the CD than it is to massage the ICPSR data
> into shape.
>
> Joe Doherty
> UCLA
>
> Paul Johnson wrote:
>> Benjamin Freeman wrote:
>>> I am having some difficulty working with the IMF Government Finance
>>> Statistics Data from the ICPSR Study No. 8624.  Specifically, I do not
>>> know
>>> exactly how to unpack the main data file.  Has anyone written code to
>>> unpack
>>> this file?  Or, does anyone know of an alternative source for this
>>> data that
>>> does not require unpacking?
>>>
>> You need to be more specific with your question.  I don't have any
>> trouble with "unpacking".
>>
>> $ unzip 6279173.zip
>> Archive:  6279173.zip
>> extracting: 6279173/ICPSR_08624/08624-manifest.txt
>> extracting: 6279173/ICPSR_08624/08624-related_literature.txt
>> extracting: 6279173/ICPSR_08624/08624-descriptioncitation.pdf
>>  inflating: 6279173/ICPSR_08624/DS0001/08624-0001-Codebook.pdf
>>  inflating: 6279173/ICPSR_08624/DS0001/08624-0001-Data.txt
>>  inflating: 6279173/ICPSR_08624/DS0002/08624-0002-Data.txt
>>
>> Now, concerning the file 6279173/ICPSR_08624/DS0001/08624-0001-Data.txt,
>> I do see trouble.  It is a block of characters I don't recognize.  It is
>> certainly not encoded in ASCII or Unicode.  My colleagues here suspect
>> it might be encoded EBCDIC character set, but my first guess was that it
>> was edited by somebody in a program that was popular in 1998, say "Word
>> Perfect" or such, and that person who saved it forgot to save into plain
>> text format.  I don't think it is EBCDIC, because:
>>
>> $ recode EBCDIC..MSDOS test.txt
>> recode: test.txt failed: Invalid input in step
>> `ANSI_X3.4-1968..ISO-8859-1'
>>
>> Ah, then back to read the codebook.  I see this comment "The data are
>> stored in packed zoned decimal format. A supplemental COBOL processing
>> program is available for use with this dataset." The COBOL program
>> called Funpack is provided in the directory DS0002, and my guess is that
>> one needs a COBOL compiler to run this program.  Here are the first few
>> lines, in case you need to be convinced.
>>
>>  EBCDIC LINE
>> 000010 IDENTIFICATION DIVISION.
>> 000020 PROGRAM-ID. 'FUNPACK'.
>> 000030 AUTHOR. KATHLEEN NELICK.
>> 000040 INSTALLATION. IMF BUREAU OF STATISTICS.
>> 000050 DATE-WRITTEN. FEBRUARY 1972.
> [...]

Paul Gronke                  Direct phone:      503-517-7393
Dept. of Political Science   E-Fax (preferred): 440-274-8159 **NEW**
Reed College                 Local fax:         503-777-7776
3203 SE Woodstock Blvd
Portland, OR 97202           http://www.reed.edu/~gronkep