From:
Jeff Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jul 2016 22:12:45 -0700
Dear Society members and friends,

It is my pleasure to announce that the winners of the Society for Political
Methodology's 2016 Miller Prize is Pablo Barbará for his article ``Birds of
the same feather tweet together: Bayesian ideal point estimation using
Twitter data. Political Analysis" (Volume 23, Number 1, pp. 76-91).  The
Miller Prize is awarded for the best work appearing in Political Analysis
the preceding year.  Please join me in congratulating Pablo.

My thanks to prize committee members Neil Malhotra (Stanford), Megan
Shannon (Colorado), Arthur Spirling (NYU) and Thad Dunning (Berkeley).
Their citation for the prize follows:

"Scholars of comparative politics, international relations, and
American politics frequently seek to identify the interests of
political actors. Yet our estimates of political preferences have
historically been limited to actors taking visible positions in
conventional media or public institutions. Barberá's paper improves
our ability to identify the ideological positions of a vast number of
political actors. The paper provides a method to estimate the ideal
points of actors through their positions within networks on social
media. The result is a powerful tool that the committee believes will
be used widely to explore a broad range of social science
phenomena. Indeed the paper has already been cited over 100 times in a
short amount of time since publication. In addition to providing a
valuable method for inferring ideology, the mechanics of the paper are
superb. It is clearly written and technically precise. Barberá takes
care to validate the method by comparing its estimates to other
renowned measures of ideology and expert surveys. In the outstanding
2015 volume of Political Analysis, Barberá's paper stands out for its
accessibility and broad potential utility. We congratulate Pablo
Barberá as the winner of the Miller Prize for best paper in
Political Analysis."

A formal presentation of the award will be made at the Methodology
Section's business meeting at APSA (September 2nd at noon).

Best,

Jeff Lewis

--

Jeffrey B. Lewis