From:
"Leanne C. Powner" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Political Methodology Society <[log in to unmask]>, Leanne C. Powner
Date:
Sun, 27 Aug 2023 11:25:22 -0400
Colleagues,
I am pleased to announce the availability of two classroom resources for
methods instruction: a new database for classroom statistics assignments
and a resource for undergraduates reading empirical political science or
similar fields.

The first, the Giant Database of Dogs (http://www.leannecpowner.com/dogs),
is a dataset deliberately designed for pedagogical use. Its simple survey
instrument has some issues, which result in openings to discuss survey
design that are not usually present in the major surveys typically used in
class assignments. A brief paper for faculty accompanies it, describing
some of these features and potential classroom use ideas.

The second is the 20th Anniversary Edition of "Reading and Understanding
Political Science." This document, which I first drafted as a grad student
at Michigan in 2003, has been used in countless classrooms to help students
understand how to read various types of articles and what to take away from
them. It contains a typology of articles in political science, explains the
five major sections of an empirical article, and provides questions to
think  about when reading articles. It provides early undergraduates with
the ability to critically evaluate and even critique published research.
That document can be accessed at
http://www.leannecpowner.com/pages/resources.html under Pedagogy Resources.
It and its activities have been fully revised for this edition.

I hope some of you find these methods pedagogy resources useful.

Best,
Leanne Powner

--
Leanne C. Powner, PhD
www.LeanneCPowner.com

*******
My working hours are irregular and may include evenings and weekends that
do not overlap with your working hours. Please do not feel obligated to
respond outside your regular working hours.