From:
"Robert J. Franzese, Jr." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 20 Apr 2020 12:27:21 -0400
Please feel free, encouraged even ;), to distribute widely across your networks this announcement.
And please encourage any and all inquiries to me at [log in to unmask]

I wanted to follow on the message at bottom from ICPSR that all courses and workshops will be online this semester to mention specifically that SPACE (ha!) is still available in my NEW & EXPANDED* Spatial Econometrics (https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/sumprog/courses/0129) 5-day workshop, July 20-24 (live & recorded for synchronous & asynchronous learning). ICPSR is discounting these online editions of courses & workshops also (see below).

While I will miss working with this year’s cohort in person, there are some upsides perhaps for scholars who may be considering it. No travel & lodging costs if they’re outside of Ann Arbor, of course, but also the instruction will be delivered online, live and also recorded for asynchronous viewing (to accommodate time-zone variation, e.g.) and therefore also accessible for later reviewing. And, as always, participants in my workshops will retain access to all materials from the workshop, and email access to me if I can be of future assistance, in perpetuity.

Here are more of the workshop details, and please send any & all inquiries about the workshop to me at [log in to unmask]:

Spatial Econometrics: Empirical Analysis of Geospatial Association and Cross-Unit Interdependence*
ICPSR 5-Day Workshop, ONLINE in 2020, July 20-24 (live stream, and also recorded for asynchronous participation)

Professor Robert (Rob) J. Franzese, Jr. (please send any & all inquiries about the workshop to: [log in to unmask])

*NEWLY EXPANDED! Now with more intro to models and methods for spatial or geospatial _clustering_ (as opposed to contagion/interdependence) and distinguishing between the alternate sources of spatial association (common exposure, contagion, network selection).

ADVERTISEMENT: Do the outcomes in the units or individuals of your research analyses cluster geospatially or within networks? Do some units’ or individuals’ outcomes depend on outcomes in other units/individuals? That is, are the outcomes of interest in your studies likely contagious from units to neighboring or otherwise proximate or connected units? Do the processes you study diffuse across units in some manner? Are there spillovers across subjects? If you study anything in the social sciences, and likely most things beyond, almost certainly there/they are/do.
This workshop (July 20-24 ONLINE Live & Recorded) teaches empirical methods for modeling, for estimating, and for the interpretation of such spatial or cross-unit clustering (correlation) or interdependence (a.k.a., contagion/diffusion/spillover/network-dependence...). Applied (computer-lab) sessions and exercises are bilingual, i.e. with lab scripts in Stata and R both available, and students are of course welcome to use other software as they prefer.

Register through the ICPSR Summer School portal, linked here: http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/sumprog
The course description from the ICPSR website is linked here & copied below: http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/sumprog/courses/0129
Registration fees reduced: Members: Was $1800, NOW $1500; Non-Members: Was $3300, NOW $3000
Scholarships & Discounts: Please refer to ICPSR scholarships page <https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/content/sumprog/scholarships/index.html> for a full list of funding opportunities, and discounts: 15% discount for returning participants; 15% discount for enrolling in 2 or more short workshops, or a short workshop and a four-week session; Group discount for academic departments or programs that send 5 or more participants; Early payment discount for our four-week sessions
Please refer to ICPSR registration page <https://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/content/sumprog/registration.html> for more information.

The full workshop description follows:

Spatial Econometrics: Empirical Analysis of Geospatial Association and Cross-Unit Interdependence
20-24 July 2020 (online, live and recorded for asynchronous participation &/or later review)
PLEASE DO EMAIL ([log in to unmask]) with any & all questions

Description: Spatial (i.e., geospatial or otherwise cross-unit) association and interdependence are ubiquitous throughout the social sciences, and beyond. That is, events or outcomes in one observational unit are almost always related to similar occurrences in other observational units. This is so for such diverse phenomena as disturbances and conflicts within and among nations; crime, health, and environmental outcomes; economic and other policies in political jurisdictions; consumer, investor, and producer choices in markets; individuals’ opinions and behavior in societies; and voting by citizens in elections or by legislators in legislatures. In contexts where this omnipresent cross-unit association (or correlation) arises from interdependence (or contagion), "standard" statistical methods (which assume independent observations) are inappropriate, and design-based methods of "nonparametric causal-inference" are (at best) inadequate. This workshop introduces strategies appropriate for distinguishing spatial association (correlation) from spatial interdependence (contagion) and for proper estimation of processes involving interdependent observations, emphasizing spatial and spatiotemporal models of interdependent continuous and limited outcomes.

The main objective of the workshop is to demonstrate how such spatial, i.e. geo-spatial or otherwise cross-unit, interdependence can be incorporated into empirical analysis most productively. Course participants will learn how to: diagnose spatial-correlation patterns; estimate spatial-regression models; distinguish between different sources of spatial correlation (common exposure, contagion, and selection); and calculate and present the spatial and spatiotemporal effects that empirical models which incorporate interdependence imply. Methods to be covered include: measures of spatial association; models and methods for (exogenous) spatial correlation; instrumental-variable and maximum-likelihood estimators for models with (endogenous) spatial interdependence; multiple-spatial-lag models; spatial interdependence in models with limited and qualitative dependent-variables; and models for coevolutionary processes (i.e., processes with both spatial-cum-network interdependence and endogenous-connectivity/network-selection).

Prerequisites: None; in particular, although participants should be familiar with linear regression and models for qualitative/limited dependent variables (e.g., logit, probit, etc.), this workshop does not assume any prior knowledge of, or experience with, spatial statistics. Indeed, all necessary mathematical, statistical, geospatial-analytic, and spatial-econometric background will be reviewed as needed, albeit (obviously) very quickly.

If you would, please distribute widely across your networks this announcement & call for applications.
And again encourage any and all inquiries to me at [log in to unmask]

THANKS! Stay safe & be well!
and all best wishes,
Rob

                   Robert (Rob) J. Franzese, Jr.
Professor & Associate Chair, Department of Political Science,
    College of Literature, Science, & the Arts (5755 Haven Hall)
Director, Program in International & Comparative Studies,
    International Institute (333 Weiser Hall)
Research Professor, Center for Political Studies,
    Institute for Social Research (4256 I.S.R.)
               The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
Fellow & 15th (ex)President, The Society for Political Methodology
  phone: 1-734-936-1850 http://www-personal.umich.edu/~franzese