From:
"Douarin, Elodie" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Political Methodology Society <[log in to unmask]>, Douarin, Elodie
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2023 14:21:14 +0000
Call for Papers

Hybrid Workshop: Experimental research in post-conflict contexts

When: Tuesday 4th July 2023, 10 am till 4.30 pm.
Where: School of Slavonic and East European Studies, UCL, London and online

The aim of the workshop is primarily to bring together an international group of researchers working on the legacy of violence using quantitative experiments in post-conflict settings. We hope the workshop will provide a forum for researchers to share their work, providing and receiving feedback and suggestions, and to broaden their network. The participants will be mostly those using quantitative methods in their research, with a particular emphasis on innovative design and experimental approaches. We will welcome discussion of early-stage projects, focusing on design, full papers or even groups of papers. Any innovative quantitative approach will be considered, but we would especially welcome papers using experiments.

We are particularly keen to include research covering some of the following aspects:

·      1. Measuring sensitive forms of victimisation (e.g. using list experiments or other techniques to facilitate disclosure, or reduce measurement error);

·       2. Investigating novel outcomes or legacies, that have been under-studied to date, or outcomes which may be affected by recall bias, social desirability bias or stigma;

·       3. Convincingly investigating mechanisms or theoretical pathways behind the legacies investigated.

We also expect presenters to present their work so as to provide insights into the following:

·       1. Critical technical issues to account for at the design stage;

·     2.  How ethical issues surrounding collection of data on traumatic experiences or controversial outcomes can be better addressed;

·    3.  Considerations with regard to sampling given either the variable incidence of war times experience across geographic spaces or sub-populations such as ethnic groups, and/or safety concerns about fieldwork in recent or on-going conflict zones.

We plan to dedicate at least 1 session to discussing design issues or papers at the design stage.

Key dates:
Submission deadline: 9th of June
Notification of acceptance: 16th of June

If you are interested in participating in the workshop, either in person or on-line, please use this form: https://forms.office.com/e/3PPfSUGwJr

We regret we are unable to cover travel costs but will provide all refreshments during the day.

Organisers
Julie Litchfield and Elodie Douarin
Dr Julie Litchfield, Senior Lecturer, Dept of Economics, University of Sussex [log in to unmask]
Dr Elodie Douarin, Associate Professor, School of Slavonic and Eastern European Studies, UCL [log in to unmask]

Dr Elodie Douarin

Associate Professor in Economics
School of Slavonic and East European Studies
University College London, Gower Street
London WC1E 6BT

Office location:
office 528 at 16 Taviton Street (SSEES building)

Phone number: +44 20 7679 8822

My personal website: www.elodiedouarin.co.uk<http://www.elodiedouarin.co.uk>

Recently published:
Uberti, L.J., Douarin, E. The Feminisation U, cultural norms, and the plough. J Popul Econ 36, 5–35 (2023). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00148-022-00890-5

The Palgrave Handbook of Comparative Economics, which I co-edited with Oleh Havrylyshyn (Carleton University) is out:

See here for more information: https://www.palgrave.com/gp/book/9783030508876

You can find information about my 2017 book (with Tomek Mickiewicz - Aston University)

Economics of Institutional Change here: https://www.palgrave.com/gb/book/9783319579573

And for more information about my research - see here: https://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=XEXhd2QAAAAJ&hl=en