From:
"Franzese, Robert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2012 17:13:43 +0000
I am extremely pleased to announce that, with the full support of the Fellows Nominating Committee (Jeff Gill (chair), Keith Poole, W. Phillips Shively) and the previously inducted Fellows, Andrew D. Martin of the Department of Political Science at Washington University--St. Louis is the 2012 addition to the SPM Fellows.

In addition to recognizing a body of work, becoming a Fellow means joining the Society's governing board. When we established this status, we determined that "Selection to the position of Fellow of the Society for Political Methodology honors individuals who have made outstanding scholarly contributions to the development of political methodology, and whose methodological work has had a major international impact on subsequent scholarship in the field, in the discipline more broadly, and where appropriate in other areas." In Dr. Martin, we are adding a scholar of such high distinction to the ranks of Fellows of The Society for Political Methodology.

Professor (and now Dean) Martin has accumulated a distinguished record of achievement in political methodology, applied statistics, and American politics. Andrew Martin's contributions to political methodology are many and great. His 2002 Political Analysis article with Kevin Quinn, to name just one, won the 2001 Harold Gosnell Prize for Excellence in Political Methdology. In this work, they give the first estimate of ideal points for justices on the U.S. Supreme Court and how these change over time, using data from The United States Supreme Court Judicial Database with a dynamic spatial model built on item response theory (IRT) foundations. His contributions to applied Markov Chain Monte Carlo methods are also important. With Kevin Quinn and Jong Hee Park, he created MCMCpack, which has helped innumerable researchers estimate complex Bayesian models. He has substantially furthered political methodology in a practical and important way through his program for training sitting United States judges to understand statistics as introduced in the courtroom. With coauthors, he has also developed The Supreme Court Database, enabling ready access to a deeper range of the Court's data for a wide range of scholars. Andrew Martin has published in many law reviews, as well as in all of our top journals in political science. (This includes, of course, the number one 5-year impact-factor journal in the discipline: Political Analysis.) In addition, Dr. Martin has published methodological articles in statistics, sociology, medicine, and natural science journals.

Please join the Fellows Nominating Committee, the previously inducted Fellows, and me in congratulating Andrew!

                Robert (Rob) J. Franzese, Jr.
         Professor, Department of Political Science,
  Research Professor, Center for Political Studies, I.S.R.,
            The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
      President, The Society for Political Methodology
           Room 4246 Institute for Social Research
        P.O. Box 1248 (for courier: 426 Thompson St.)
                   Ann Arbor, MI 48106-1248
         office: 1-734-936-1850; fax: 1-734-764-3341
           http://www-personal.umich.edu/~franzese