From:
"Buttorff, Gail J" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Feb 2020 19:10:13 +0000
Dear Colleagues,

We are currently looking to fill a senior associate/full professor position at the Hobby School of Public Affairs at the University of Houston (UH). Below you will find information about the Hobby School and a link to the full job announcement.

Kind Regards,

Gail Buttorff

In its teaching, training, and research, the Hobby School emphasizes advanced social science methodology, leadership, and political philosophy. This multidisciplinary approach is designed to position our students to: (a) apply state-of-the-art analytical techniques to public policy issues, (b) approach issues considering ethical, moral, and multiple perspectives, and (c) apply effective leadership/influence techniques to advance/implement their agenda.

The School is the home of the Center for Public Policy (employing both post-doctoral fellows and staff researchers) and the Center for Ethics and Leadership, convenes the Empirical Implications of Theoretical Models (EITM) Summer Institute, and serves as an affiliated campus for Inter-University Consortium for Politics and Social Research (ICPSR) Summer Workshops.

We have strong partnerships with other colleges on campus, and several of our faculty members hold joint appointments. We offer multiple joint degrees with other colleges (e.g., Masters of Public Policy with a Masters of Social Work) and have institutional support for developing both undergraduate and PhD curricula—both of which are in progress.

The Hobby School values a culture of collaboration and mutual support. We take seriously the quality of work life for faculty and staff—and the student experience.

The Texas legislature passed a bill to provide us with our own building. We are leveraging relationships with scholars with expertise in psychologically healthy workplaces to design a state-of-the-art facility that will support our culture of collaboration and mutual support.

UH is a Carnegie-Designated Tier One Public Research University with over 45,000 students on the main campus. It is one of the most culturally and ethnically diverse public universities in the nation. The population growth of Houston and Texas has yielded a strong need for UH to become a top-tier university, and resources are pouring in.

Given its location, mission, and resources, the Hobby School is well-positioned to become a top academic unit and a center for cutting-edge research on issues impacting Houston (the soon-to-be-third most populous city in the U.S.) and the nation.

The Hobby School was created by the UH system in 2016. Joining the Hobby School would offer incoming faculty the unique opportunity to help build and shape the direction and culture of the School—a school with strong and growing resources in a strong and growing region.

For information about the search, please go to the following URL: https://uh.edu/hobby/facultyposition/

If you have any questions or would like to speak with someone about the position, please contact the chair of the search committee, Professor Sunny Wong, at [log in to unmask]