From:
Anna Maria Ortiz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2006 08:53:46 -0400
Hi Micah:

My read of recent computational linguistics lit, where they do this a
whole lot, suggests that kappa (either Cohen's or Siegel and
Castellan's) is still pretty well regarded for two-coder agreement. Or
at least there's no consensus on anything better.

In addition to the web page Will cites, I'd suggest looking at the
following:

www.temple.edy/ispr/mmc/reliability

http://pareonline.net/getvn.asp?v=9&n=4

Also, Di Eugenio and Glass, "The Kappa statistic: a second look"
Computational Linguistics 32 (1): 95-101 (2004), available at
http://www.mglass.org/papers/papers.html

And for a very nice take on multicoder agreement, including
Krippendorf's alpha:

Artstein & Poesio, "Kappa^3 = Alpha (or Beta)", NLE Technical Note
05-1, CS Technical Report CSM-437, ISSN 1744-8050 (September 29, 2005)

Good luck -

Anna Maria

Anna Maria Ortiz, Ph.D.
Senior Statistician
Applied Research and Methods
U.S. Government Accountability Office
(202) 512-2788

>>> Will Lowe <[log in to unmask]> 10/15/2006 10:08 AM >>>
Micah,

Before choosing a statistic it might be useful to ask yourself two
questions:

First, what is the unit of agreement?  You might either ask to what
extent your coders agree on phrases, or to what extent they agree
about the keywords that will be extracted from those phrases and put
into the search engine.  For sub-phrase search keywords, agreement on
the latter may be both higher and more relevant with respect to your
final purpose.

Second, do you intend to have a gold standard coding?  A gold standard
coding might be produced either by coding all the platforms yourself,
or by the less taxing methods described in King and Lowe (2003).

With these answers in hand, a sensible discussion on choosing a
statistic is:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jsuebersax/agree.htm

Will Lowe
Methods and Data Institute