From:
Gary Klass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 2006 07:37:21 -0500
Dan's solution poses more problems, I think.

Yes, If you have monthly data for the same trend, you will have 60 cases
rather than 5.
Or, with weekly data you will have 260 cases.
And if you actually record staffing down to the minute, you will have
thousands of cases and
you are guaranteed to have a significant trend, unless there has been no
change at all.

This problem occurs in all time series analysis that uses statistical
significance as its measure of significant change.

Measures of significance assume random independent sampling.
Time series data is never random and the time points are never selected
independently
(each year you select determines the next year you will select).

The whole idea of a statistically significant trend is bogus, I think.

In this case, you probably have a situation where you've added 20 or 30
people to the staff over five years.
A significance test would allow you to test the hypothesis that you have
added nobody.
Does that make sense?

Dan Williams wrote:
> Not if they know what they are doing.  Is the problem that budget practices
> bump up staffing once a year?  Otherwise, why don't you/they look at monthly
> staffing practices?
>
> Dan Williams

Gary M. Klass
Associate Professor