From:
Baobao Zhang <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Political Methodology Society <[log in to unmask]>, Baobao Zhang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2023 13:40:07 -0400
Hello!

I want to let you know about this opportunity:

Centre for the Governance of AI
Data Scientist and Survey Analyst (Contractor, Project-based)

https://www.governance.ai/post/data-scientist-and-survey-analyst-contractor-project-based-open-position

We are looking for a data scientist with strong python and/or R skills,
experience with data analysis that meets academic standards, and a reliable
foundation in statistical methods. The successful applicant will help
analyse surveys on public and expert opinion on artificial intelligence and
AI governance on a project-by-project basis. We welcome candidates who are
completing or have completed a relevant degree or otherwise have experience
in survey research and data analysis. If the first project is completed
successfully, we hope to engage the data scientist contractor on a regular
basis when survey results come in.

The application deadline is 15th October 2023, 11:59pm BST.

More information:
About GovAI and Survey Research

GovAI’s mission is to help humanity navigate the transition to a world with
advanced AI. Our world-class research has helped shape the nascent field of
AI governance. We also run a wide range of programmes and events to better
connect the field and help people transition into working on AI governance
full-time and better connect the field.

The survey research conducted at GovAI explores public and expert opinion
on AI in relation to topics that are important for AI governance.
Previous GovAI
survey research <https://www.governance.ai/theme/survey-research> has
explored the attitudes of AI researchers on questions relevant to the ethics
and governance of AI
<https://www.governance.ai/research-paper/ethics-and-governance-of-artificial-intelligence-evidence-from-a-survey-of-machine-learning-researchers>
, immigration
<https://www.governance.ai/research-paper/skilled-and-mobile-survey-evidence-of-ai-researchers-immigration-preferences>,
and AI timelines
<https://www.governance.ai/research-paper/when-will-ai-exceed-human-performance-evidence-from-ai-experts>.
Our survey research has been reported on by the Economist
<https://perma.cc/WYK2-HRZE>, BBC <https://perma.cc/L6KR-QY49>, Wired
<https://www.wired.com/story/ex-googler-timnit-gebru-starts-ai-research-center/>
, Bloomberg
<https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-10/u-s-military-trusted-more-than-google-facebook-to-develop-ai?srnd=technology-vp&wpisrc=nl_technology202&wpmm=1>
, MIT Tech Review
<https://www.technologyreview.com/2019/01/10/1508/americans-want-to-regulate-ai-but-dont-trust-anyone-to-do-it/>
, Vox
<https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2019/1/9/18174081/fhi-govai-ai-safety-american-public-worried-ai-catastrophe>,
and New Scientist <https://perma.cc/ANG6-U8AX>. It has been mentioned in
the UK National AI Strategy
<https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-ai-strategy/national-ai-strategy-html-version>.
Ongoing studies are looking at cross-cultural public opinion of AI,
economists’ views of long-run economic growth, AI researchers views on AI
governance and risks, and attitudes towards AI amongst local US
policymakers.

‍
About the Role

GovAI is running surveys of the public and key expert populations (such as
AI researchers, policymakers, and economists) and is looking for a talented
data scientist who can analyse the data for ongoing and upcoming projects.

Responsibilities include:

   - Analysing survey and forecasting data for academic and non-academic
   publications
   - Generating data visualisations for academic and non-academic
   publications
   - Consulting on statistical matters and questions including sampling,
   weighting, imputations, nonresponse bias, analysis methods, and power
   analyses.
   - Writing pre-analysis plans for projects and ensuring files and data
   are prepared for future replication efforts, including for uploading to
   open science databases
   - Streamlining GovAI’s survey analysis pipeline and code to make it
   easily adaptable to new projects and as automated as possible
   - Supporting the process of writing technical reports and academic
   papers with input on methodological and results sections

‍
Selection Criteria

*Key*

   - Strong proficiency in python and/or R data analysis. Our existing code
   base is in python and R.
   - Strong background in data analysis and proven ability to analyse
   survey data (may include experience from data science, polling, psychology,
   political science, economics, research methods)
   - Ability and willingness to master new languages and libraries quickly.
   - Knowledge of key statistical issues relating to analysing survey data
   and comfort in using a range of statistical methodologies (tasks may
   involve, for example, analysing conjoints, constructing and aggregating
   CDFs, simulation-based power analyses, mixed or multilevel models,
   multilevel regression and poststratification)
   - Master’s or PhD degree, or equivalent work experience post
   undergraduate degree (relevant degrees can include but are not limited to
   statistics and research methods, data science, psychology, political
   science, and economics). This should include 2 years or more of
   quantitative or statistical analysis experience from academic or
   professional work or otherwise relevant research experience.
   - Strong commitment to research integrity and high quality data analysis
   - High attention to detail
   - Proactive self-starter approach to work that can deliver in short
   turnaround times
   - Ability to automate analysis workflows

*Desirable*

   - Experience or interest in developing expertise in analysing
   forecasting data
   - Familiarity with open science practices, pre-analysis plans,
   pre-registering studies
   - Experience with creating both striking popular outlet and academic
   data visualisations
   - Familiarity with using GitHub
   - Familiarity with Jupyter Notebook or Google Colab
   - Interest in understanding AI governance issues and the impacts of AI
   on society
   - Strong written communication skills
   - Ability to create interactive data visualisations and online data
   dashboards/reports

‍
Salary and location

Applicants will work full-time or part-time for each project as a
contractor. The work can be done remotely. The survey analyst contractor
will be compensated at a rate of [40 USD]/hour. Whilst the role ideally
would be full-time, time commitments can be scoped out together for
individuals only able to accept a part-time role. If the candidate lives
close by, they can come work in our Oxford-based office during the duration
of each project.

‍
How to apply‍ and what to expect

Apply using the form below. The application deadline is *15th October 2023,
11:59pm BST*. The first page of the application form will give more detail
on the materials you will be asked to submit.  You will be asked to submit
a CV, two representative work samples, a coding sample, as well as answer
three non-technical questions. After considering applications, we will ask
promising candidates to complete a short paid trial task and an interview.

We are committed to fostering a culture of inclusion, and we encourage
individuals with diverse backgrounds and experience to apply. We especially
encourage applications from women, gender minorities, and people of colour
who are excited about contributing to our mission. We are an equal
opportunity employer.

--

*Baobao Zhang*
Maxwell Dean Assistant Professor of the Politics of AI

https://baobaofzhang.github.io/

Syracuse University