From:
Marko Klasnja <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 2013 21:24:00 -0400
Hello colleagues,

I was wondering if anyone knows whether it is at all possible to get more
detailed geographical data for respondents in the Eurobarometer surveys
than is currently available in the publicly released files.  Currently, the
publicly available data contain:

- country ID
- region ID
- type of community (urban vs. rural)
- size of community (by some population thresholds; occasionally).

I am interested in identifiers at the community, municipality or county
level (whichever is a relatively small administrative unit in a country).
As many of you know, for most countries, the region variable is still at
quite a macro level.  I have written to [log in to unmask] twice,
but received no reply. I understand that any additional geographic
identifiers may be sensitive, but some databases (e.g. the GSS) provide
such identifiers through a special procedure (requiring IRB approval).  I
haven't been able to find any information if folks at the Eurobarometer
would be willing to consider doing the same, if they haven't already done
so.

Any information is greatly appreciated. Also, ff anyone has information on
the same question for other similar cross-country surveys, such as the
World Values Survey or the ISSP, I'd be very interested to hear about them
too.

Best,

Marko Klasnja
PhD Candidate