From:
Geoff Layman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2006 13:09:47 -0400
This is to let all of you know that we are conducting two searches with
methodology components at Maryland this fall.  These hires are part of a
broader effort to further strengthen our Ph.D. program, and particularly
the methodological training within it.

One is for an assistant professor in American politics and quantitative
methods.  We are looking for candidates who are able to effectively
teach advanced quantitative courses in the department's graduate
statistics sequence and who also have strong, theoretically-driven
research agendas within American politics.  Questions about this
position should be directed to Geoff Layman ([log in to unmask]).

The other is for one or more junior positions at the assistant
professor level (or, in special cases, perhaps at the tenured level) in
international relations with special interests in security and/or
conflict studies.  We are looking for candidates who not only are strong
in these substantive areas, but also are able to teach graduate courses
in either quantitative methods or formal theory.  Questions about this
position should be directed to Paul Huth ([log in to unmask]).

Our ad should appear on e-jobs very shortly, but also are inserted
below.  If you feel that you are a qualified candidate for this job, I
hope you will consider applying.  And, if you have current or former
grad. students who are qualified candidates, I hope you will consider
encouraging them to apply.

Best,

Geoff Layman

University of Maryland, College Park
American Politics/Methodology

As part of an ongoing effort to improve the methodological training of
our Ph.D. students and to strengthen our national visibility in American
politics, the Department of Government and Politics at the University of
Maryland invites applicants for a tenure-track position in quantitative
methodology and American politics at the Assistant Professor level.  The
position will begin in Fall 2007.  We seek candidates who employ
advanced statistical methods in their research and who would be able to
teach advanced quantitative courses in the Department's graduate
statistics sequence.  The position is open with respect to substantive
specialization.  However, we seek scholars who have theoretically-driven
research agendas within American politics and who have the potential to
work with graduate students and other faculty.  Applicants should
indicate the range of courses in quantitative methods and American
politics that they feel qualified to teach in their cover letter.
Minorities and women are particularly encouraged to apply.  Candidates
should send a letter of application, curriculum vitae, three letters of
reference, a brief description of current and future research plans, and
copies of written work to Professor Mark I. Lichbach, Chair, Department
of Government and Politics, University of Maryland, 3140 Tydings Hall,
College Park, Maryland 20742.  For best consideration, applications
should be received no later than October 1, 2006.  The University of
Maryland is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity
Employer.

University of Maryland, College Park
International Relations/Methodology

The Department of Government and Politics at the University of Maryland
invites applications for scholars in international relations with
special interests in security and/or conflict studies, especially the
intersections of international, transnational, and domestic conflict. In
addition to these substantive areas of research, the Department seeks
candidates who employ advanced statistical methods or formal theory in
their research. The Department therefore seeks candidates who would be
able to teach graduate courses in both international relations and
methods. One or more junior positions at the assistant professor level
are to be filled but tenured candidates may also be considered.
Minorities and women are particularly encouraged to apply. The
University of Maryland is an Affirmative/Equal Opportunity Employer.
Candidates should send a vitae, samples of written work, three letters
of recommendation, and a letter of interest to Professor Paul Huth,
Chair, IR Search Committee, Department of Government and Politics,