From:
Emily Ware <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 21 Dec 2009 16:13:08 -0500
Hello-
I would like to post the below announcement for the 2010 Cooperative
Congressional Election Study to the PolMeth list.

Thanks, and let me know you have any questions.
-Emily

Announcing the 2010 Cooperative Congressional Election Study

There is power in numbers.  Since 2006, a consortium of over 50
universities have come together to create the Cooperative Congressional
Election Study, the first truly large-scale academic survey project
aimed at studying the midterm Congressional elections.  Our joint
efforts produced 35,000 person national survey of the American
electorate in 2006 and 2008, as well as 50 separate 1,000 person studies
focused on particular research questions of interest to the individual
teams.  Professor Stephen Ansolabehere and the Harvard/MIT Public
Opinion Research Training Lab coordinate the CCES.  YouGov Polimetrix,
of Palo Alto, CA, conducts and distributes the surveys.

We’ve set our sights on an even bigger and better Cooperative
Congressional Election Study for 2010 and we invite you to join this
unique project.

Design
We plan a national sample stratified by state and type of district,
which permits the optimal study of congressional and state races and
state politics.  The sample design also fits well with the Electoral
College structure and provides an ideal setting for understanding the
relationship between the congressional and Presidential elections.  The
survey will consist of a 20 minute pre-election wave and 10 minute
post-election wave.  The same people will be interviewed in both waves.

Content
Half of the survey content will be Common Content, administered to all
survey respondents, and half of the content will be team content,
administered to 1,000 respondents for each team.  The CCES Planning
Group will design the Common Content.  Common Content consists of a
battery of questions asked of all respondents to capture commonly asked
questions, such as vote choice, as well as a handful of items for which
it is uniquely advantageous to have a very large sample.  Each team will
design its own team content.

Deliverables
The project will deliver a 1,000 person survey covering your team’s
content; a Common Content survey (a 35,000 person sample) that consists
of a subset of questions asked of all subjects; and the validated vote
for most subjects in the sample, where available.  Data will be
embargoed for the private use of those participating teams for a term of
one year after the delivery of the survey.

Cost
The cost for a module is $17,500, but thanks to a grant from the NSF, we
project the cost to be $12,000.  To express your interest simply sign up
at the CCES Page of the MIT/Harvard Public Opinion research Training
Lab.  http://web.mit.edu/polisci/portl/cces/index.html, or contact Emily
Ware, CCES Project Administrator at Harvard ([log in to unmask]).

If you know of other researchers who would like to join this
collaboration, please send us their contact information.

Schedule
The study will be fielded from October 1, 2010 through November 15, 200.
  Survey data will be delivered February 1, 2011, and data matched to
the voter files will be delivered December 15, 2011.

The coordination of the CCES is conducted by the MIT/Harvard Public
Opinion Research Training Lab:
http://web.mit.edu/polisci/portl/cces/index.html.

Professor Stephen Ansolabehere, Principal Investigator; Emily Ware, CCES
Project Administrator

At YouGov Polimetrix, contact Sam Luks for further information about the
conduct of the survey itself, [log in to unmask]

--
Emily Ware
IQSS Faculty Assistant