From:
David Hugh-Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2006 11:33:26 +0000
Hi guys

I am examining pairs of initiative votes, such as votes on
California's Propositions 13 and 8 (8 was a counter-initiative placed
on the ballot by the legislature). My basic hypothesis looks like
this:

                                          [=== Yes on 13 ==========...
                           [===== Yes on 8 ====]
<------------------------------------------------------------------------------------>
underlying policy preference

I.e. moderates vote yes on 8, and there is some overlap where people
vote yes on both.

As I don't have a nice linear measure of policy preference, my idea
was to (logit) regress support for Proposition 13 against my
independent variables (which are almost all categorical), then to use
each individual's predicted logged
odds for support of 13 as a measure of underlying policy preference. I
could then put this predicted value into a logit on support for
Proposition 8, either interacted with actual support for 13, or in two
separate regressions for supporters and opponents of 13. The
expectation would be that the policy variable would be significant but
with opposite signs for yes and no voters on 13.

However, I am worried about endogeneity: if the votes are
interrelated, is using the Yhats for one vote in a regression on the
other acceptable?

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Cheers
David Hugh-Jones