From:
Arthur Lupia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2006 10:09:41 -0400
Dear PolMeth,

    We write to request that you post the following notice on the
PolMeth Board. We think that it will be of interest to many readers.

Sincerely,

Arthur Lupia (www.umich.edu/~lupia)
     Professor, Department of Political Science
     Research Professor, Institute for Social Research
University of Michigan
Principal Investigator, The American National Election Studies
(www.electionstudies.org <http://www.electionstudies.org/> )
Principal Investigator, TESS (Time-Shared Experiments in the Social
Science) (www.experimentcentral.org <http://www.experimentcentral.org/>
)

Have ideas for the upcoming 2006 ANES Pilot Study? Submit your proposal
to, and read other proposals at, the new ANES Online Commons
http://www.electionstudies.org/onlinecommons.htm

__________________________________

Last month, The American National Election Studies inaugurated the ANES
Online Commons (OC).  The goal of the OC is to improve the quality and
scientific value of each of our data collections, to encourage the
submission of new ideas, and to make such experiences more beneficial
to, and enjoyable for, individual investigators.

The OC is a collection of proposal and message board web-pages designed
to foster innovation and debate about the most effective ways to measure
electorally-relevant concepts and relationships in upcoming ANES
surveys. It is faithful to best practices in "open source" development,
with the special adjustments made for the ANES.

The OC is open to anyone who wants to make a constructive contribution
to the development of ANES data collections. Any Internet user can view
the OC, but posting proposals, comments, or other study-relevant
materials will require OC membership. To learn how to register, click
here. <link>

After registering, members may write proposals advocating for the
inclusion of new questions in the questionnaires or suggesting that we
continue to ask questions that have been asked in the past or suggesting
that particular questions not be asked again. Members are also eligible
to post comments about each proposal, and proposal authors can update or
revise their proposals in response to advice they receive.

In addition to proposals and comments, OC members can write short essays
about research topics that they view as important for the ANES and its
user community to consider. These essays may be no more than 500 words
in length. The essays differ from the formal proposals that are the OC's
focal elements. OC proposals must specify the exact wording for a
proposed question accompanied by a scientific rationale, whereas the
essays need only offer advice for others about potentially valuable
lines of inquiry. The OC is devoted to the improvement and development
of scientific election studies, and all essays should adopt the same
focus.

Please pass this invitation along to anyone (e.g., your students) who
you think might be interested. We hope to hear from you now and in the
coming years as we strive to enhance the study of elections through the
ANES.

Please note that the deadline for submitting questions to the OC for the
2006 Pilot Study is June 15, 2006.

Jon A. Krosnick and Arthur Lupia

Principal Investigators

American National Election Studies