From:
Carl Bialik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Political Methodology Society <[log in to unmask]>, Carl Bialik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2024 16:06:55 +0000
YouGov America is hiring two interns for its U.S. News team, which conducts and publishes polls on topics of public interest.

Both positions will be focused on politics and elections, can be based anywhere in the U.S., and are paid and part-time for three months. Start date is flexible and can be as soon as the positions are filled.

For both positions, survey research experience is valued, as are skills in journalism and writing. Job descriptions for both are below.

We welcome candidates who want to grow in the role, and encourage applications from candidates who are members of traditionally underrepresented communities.

I'm the hiring manager and the roles will report to me. Please email me with any questions at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

Elections intern: https://boards.eu.greenhouse.io/yougov/jobs/4278307101?gh_src=202a65e2teu
Social-media intern: https://boards.eu.greenhouse.io/yougov/jobs/4278302101?gh_src=51dab732teu

Job descriptions:

U.S. 2024 Elections Intern
https://boards.eu.greenhouse.io/yougov/jobs/4278307101?gh_src=202a65e2teu
The Role
The role brings together survey design, data science, data visualization, programming, and writing to create and share public opinion data of interest to the public. Topics include breaking news, policy, culture, entertainment, sports — and most of all in 2024, politics and the presidential election.
Bring together the best of survey science, data science, and journalism to share important findings on public opinion with the world. Dream up, field, analyze, and publish a poll within 24 hours. Uncover insights about the 2024 election and see them reported around the globe. Contribute to what is known about voters' preferences, desires, and fears leading up to November.
Work with leading researchers to create surveys and run experiments at the polling organization ranked fourth in the country — and first among high-volume pollsters — by 538 . Access a trove of opinion data and create new data by writing new poll questions. Analyze the results with cutting-edge opinion-data tools, and work alongside colleagues with experience in R. Collaborate with colleagues across the world and partners at top media organizations — including the Economist and Yahoo News — to publish articles and data visualizations on how Americans act and think, at today.yougov.com and @YouGovAmerica.

What You Will Be Doing

  *   Brainstorming topics to poll
  *   Closely following news and commentary
  *   Crafting clear, concise, fair survey questions
  *   Writing about survey results for YouGov’s U.S. News website
  *   Conceiving of and creating effective data visualizations
  *   Analyzing poll data, including in the programming language R
  *   Collaborating with colleagues and media partners
  *   Contributing to the distribution of findings through social media and other platforms
  *   You'll get experience managing popular social-media accounts for one of the best-known and highest rated U.S. pollsters during a presidential election year.
  *   Bring ideas you've gathered from your immersion in conversations on social media platforms to craft new polls and collect data that will resonate online
  *   Shape our style and voice on social media
  *   Build a portfolio of high-profile tweets containing relevant and timely election insights

 What We Are Looking For
Required

  *   Commitment to rigor and accuracy
  *   Interest in and knowledge of politics and elections
  *   An interest in learning and growing in survey research, data science, and journalism
  *   Comfort with collaborating, editing, and being edited
  *   Creativity, empathy, imagination, and an orientation toward teamwork
  *   Comfort in and/or openness to a remote work environment
  *   Applicant must be based in the U.S.
Important
We encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every item on this list. We welcome candidates who want to grow in the role.

  *   Interest in and knowledge of current events outside of politics
  *   Experience writing and fielding surveys
  *   Experience writing code in R
  *   Experience with creating data visualizations
  *   Experience writing for a public audience

Nice to have

  *   Experience or studies in journalism, data science
  *   Experience or studies in survey research or a related field — such as political science, psychology, sociology, statistics, or communications
  *   Experience writing and distributing newsletters
  *   Experience creating podcasts
  *   Experience with social media and related tools
  *   Experience with content management systems
  *   An understanding of statistics, weighting, and sampling methodology

U.S. News Social Media Intern
https://boards.eu.greenhouse.io/yougov/jobs/4278302101?gh_src=51dab732teu
The Role
The role brings together writing, news and politics expertise, and social media chops to create and share public opinion data of interest to the public. Topics include breaking news, policy, culture, entertainment, sports — and most of all in 2024, politics and the presidential election.

Bring together the best of social science and social media to share important findings on public opinion with the world. Dream up poll ideas that will resonate online and get back data to share on multiple platforms — often within 24 hours. Uncover insights about the 2024 election and help them spread around the globe. Manage high-profile social media accounts from the polling organization ranked fourth in the country — and first among high-volume pollsters — by 538. Collaborate with colleagues across the world to continue growing @YouGovAmerica as one of the top sources for U.S. public opinion findings and election indicators. Build a portfolio of high-profile tweets containing relevant and timely election insights.

What You Will Be Doing

  *   Managing YouGov's U.S. social media accounts
  *   Writing posts and creating social-friendly charts to showcase our top findings
  *   Evolving our accounts' voice and style
  *   Help us expand our social media on networks beyond Twitter/X
  *   Brainstorming topics to poll
  *   Closely following news and commentary, especially around politics and the 2024 election
  *   Collaborating with colleagues
  *   You'll get experience managing popular social-media accounts for one of the best-known and highest rated U.S. pollsters during a presidential election year
  *   Bring ideas you've gathered from your immersion in conversations on social media platforms to craft new polls and collect data that will resonate online
  *   Shape our style and voice on social media

 What We Are Looking For
Required

  *   Commitment to rigor and accuracy
  *   Interest in and knowledge of politics and elections
  *   Interest in and knowledge of best practices in social media
  *   An interest in learning and growing in survey research
  *   Comfort with collaborating and being edited
  *   Creativity, empathy, imagination, and an orientation toward teamwork
  *   Comfort in and/or openness to a remote work environment
  *   Applicant must be based in the U.S.

Important
We encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every item on this list. We welcome candidates who want to grow in the role.

  *   Interest in and knowledge of current events outside of politics
  *   A portfolio of successful work in social media
  *   Experience with creating data visualizations
  *   Experience writing for a public audience

Nice to have:

  *   Experience or studies in journalism or public relations