Date:
Mon, 10 Sep 2007 10:24:29 -0400
     I had promised a summary of responses to my request for data on the
partisan composition of state legislatures.  There are three items that may
be of general interest and a fourth that might work for you.

	1.  Dean Burnham, now long ago, created such a data set now on ICPSR:
ICPSR 16, Partisan Division of American State Governments, 1834-1985.  It
needs updated and is reported to be hard to work with.

	2.  Second there is a new book that lloks great, and fills in holes in
Dean's data set:

Party Affiliations in the State Legislatures:  A Year by Year Summary,
1796?2006, by Michael J. Dubin

ISBN 978-0-7864-2914-1

<http://www.mcfarlandpub.com/book-2.php?id=978-0-7864-2914-1>

       	3.  State Politics and Policy Quarterly maintains a data web site,
that, while the above are more appropriate for my particular purposes,
could be just the answer for others:

<http://www.ipsr.ku.edu/SPPQ/sppq.shtml>

	4.  Several people sent me their own data sets (usually draw from
Burnham's, I think), which was terrific.  Once I have these data (and some
other data) in shape for general use, they will be put up on a web site for
others to use.

Thank you all,
John