From:
Paul Gronke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2006 17:06:34 -0700
Colleagues,

A return to an old question that I've posted here before: I finally have
real dedicated money to purchase a new computer this year, for which I
am intending to process large (multiple gigabyte) files.  The sort of
computer I need has to have both fast disk capacity as well as lots of
RAM, and an operating system (and statistical software) to support both
(most likely WinXP-64 or Linux-64 + Stata64).

I've been directed to XGrid as a potential mid range solution--this is a
technology that harnesses the combined processing capacity of a set of
Macs.  We have a lab with 8 or so G4's that is underutilized much of the
time.

It looks, however, like software needs to be specially written to take
advantage of this computing environment.  Any experiences with this?

Relatedly, does anyone have any information about Stata's development
cycle now that Apple has moved to the Intel platform and is releasing a
new version of their operating system?

Thanks
pg.

--
Paul Gronke                  Direct phone:      503-517-7393
Dept. of Political Science   E-Fax (preferred): 440-274-8159 **NEW**