From:
"Robert W. Walker" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2006 09:47:43 -0500
Though this does not exactly answer your question, could you jitter
the x-axis and use three different colors?  Even though you are
calculating the probabilities at the same points, shifting them just
a bit left and right makes it possible to plot all three so long as
you do not employ really fat lines.

RWW

On Oct 23, 2006, at 10:41 AM, Jim Battista wrote:

> So I have a multinomial logit model and want to display my results
> graphically.
>
> I can do this easily enough without confidence intervals using the
> xpost
> tools after the estimation.  Or I can use the spost tools inside Stata
> to generate confidence intervals, and use rarea to plot them.
>
> Now, I'm not ashamed of my confidence intervals.  They're beautiful
> confidence intervals that I'm happy to show.  But, sometimes, some of
> the confidence intervals overlap, which makes my existing figures
> unsatisfactory.  I've found the drarea package for Stata which shades
> overlapped areas as the average of the two areas, but that only
> lets you
> throw up two CI's, whereas I have three, and you can't add to it with
> addplot().
>
> Dumping the data that Stata uses to create the graphs is trivial.
> So is
> there another graphing / charting package that will let me overlay one
> CI on another with the top one such that I can still see the other one
> underneath it?  That will let me set a transparency value for the top
> one, or that will average or sum the colors / grey values for
> overlapped
> areas without me having to manually calculate the areas to shade them
> directly?  What I'd really like is something such that a light grey
> overlapping a medium gray turns into a dark (=light+medium) grey.
>
> Apologies if this is trivially easy in R.  I've looked, but I am not
> always the best searcher.
>
> Jim
>
> --
> James S. Coleman Battista
> Dept. of Political Science, Univ. of North Texas
> [log in to unmask]    (940)565-4960

>          http://polmeth.wustl.edu/polmeth.php

Robert W. Walker
Assistant Professor
Department of Political Science
Program in Applied Statistics and Computation
Washington University in Saint Louis
Campus Box 1063
One Brookings Drive
Saint Louis, Missouri 63130-3899