From:
Eric Plutzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2006 09:04:24 -0400
Hi Tom,

Like Paul, I recommend the SDA system developed at
Berkeley  http://sda.berkeley.edu/archive.htm

It does everything an undergrad might need to do -- through multiple
regression, and with clunky (but workable) utiltities for recoding,
selecting cases, and computing new variables.  As a web based
application it is free to the students and available 24/7.  It only
lacks a way to save syntax for replication, though I've saved screen
shots to preserve the inputs for teaching.

If you are interested, I've developed a series of lab assignments
using SDA (these use the GSS but can be adapted to the NES or the
dozens of ICPSR data sets that are also formatted for SDA
analysis).  These are geared to a public opinion class (not methods).

RE Paul's hopes for a text: several years ago I offered to transform
my lab worksheets and handouts into a companion textbook/workbook to
more than one publisher but they did not seem very excited.

Eric

At 01:00 AM 10/5/2006, you wrote:
>I'm working on developing an on-line undergraduate data analysis course and
>was wondering if anyone has experience doing this.  I'd appreciate any tips
>concerning books and stats programs that might be particularly appropriate
>for the on-line course environment.   The in-class version of this course
>takes students from frequencies up through some elementary multiple
>regression.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Tom

Eric Plutzer