From:
Douglas Rivers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jan 2006 13:56:23 -0800
1) Since F is neither concave nor convex, Jensen's inequality doesn't apply.

2) Exact distributions aren't available for this problem, though 2nd order
asymptotics have been worked out (search under "curved exponential family")
that are quite good.

3) The argument behind what the Stata guy says is, presumably, that the
parameter space for b is unbounded, so the usual asymptotic approximation
for its distribution, should generally be ok.  Since F is monotone,
applying these limits to F(x'b) is also (asymptotically) valid. Of course,
since p is bounded, there is nothing that keeps the first interval bounded
between zero and one. It's known that these approximations can be very bad,
as for example with some Wald-type tests.

Doug Rivers