From:
"Drews, Wiebke" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Political Methodology Society <[log in to unmask]>, Drews, Wiebke
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2023 14:48:07 +0000
Launch Announcement: Introducing the Data Knowledge Hub for Monitoring Online Discourse

We're excited to announce the official launch of the Data Knowledge Hub for Monitoring Online Discourse, which went live on 14.09.2023 and can be found here:

https://www.data-knowledge-hub.com/

What is the Data Knowledge Hub?

At its core, the Data Knowledge Hub is designed to revolutionize the way we approach and monitor social media and online discourse. By reducing entry barriers and making the process more inclusive, we aim to provide a comprehensive, collaborative platform - free of charge! Hosted as an open-source resource under the Creative Commons license on GitHub, the hub invites a global community of contributors to share data, code, and insights. Our vision is to foster a synergy between the established entities in this realm, turning this hub into an indispensable research tool.

Why the Need for this Hub?

The landscape of online discourse has undeniably transformed our information consumption habits. As platforms evolve and become vulnerable to various exploitations – from disinformation to hate speech – understanding these shifts becomes paramount. While renowned institutions such as CeMAS, Democracy Reporting International, the SPARTA Project of the Bundeswehr University Munich, and the Institute for Strategic Dialogue are doing invaluable work in this domain, challenges abound. The vastness of platforms, the colossal data sets, rapidly changing narratives, and the emergence of new digital players necessitate the pooling of collective expertise and resources.

The Data Knowledge Hub responds to this urgent need. It aims to not just provide the tools to technically monitor these platforms but also to give researchers the ability to contextualize and interpret this data from a socio-political perspective. Furthermore, journalists and other professionals can access this hub to enhance their reporting with data-driven insights.

What's Inside the Hub?

At present, the hub offers:

  *   Chapters on legal basis and ethical standards.

  *   Good practices for data collection.

  *   Exemplary research on platforms like X (formerly Twitter) and TikTok.

  *   Code samples for various platform monitoring.

We believe in the power of collective knowledge and welcome content contributions on a rolling basis. If you have any ideas or insights to share, we're eager to hear from you.

__

Dr. Wiebke Drews, PhD (EUI)

Post-Doctoral Researcher

Institute of Political Science

University of the German Bundeswehr Munich

🌐 www.wiebkedrews.com

🐦 @wiebkedrews

SPARTA: Society, Politics and Risk with Twitter Analysis

📊 dtecbw.de/sparta

<https://twitter.com/wiebkedrews>

   Editors:  Yuan (Cecilia) Sui and Gechun Lin