From:
"Larry M. Bartels" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2006 12:30:14 -0500
If X is endogenous, then all of the interaction terms involving X are also endogenous. However, if Z is an appropriate instrument for X, then A*Z is an appropriate instrument for A*X, B*Z is an appropriate instrument for B*X, and A*B*Z is an appropriate instrument for A*B*X (assuming that A and B are genuinely exogenous). That is true regardless of whether or not these interaction terms appear as exogenous variables in their own right elsewhere in the equation system. You can simply add them (and additional interaction terms if you happen to have more than one Z) to the list of available instruments. The "reduced-form equation" below is confusing because it is not in reduced form; if you do some tedious algebra you can reduce it to an equation in which the right-hand side consists entirely of As, Bs, Zs, stochastic disturbances, and interactions among these, plus constant parameters--and the configuration of interaction terms will imply the strategy above.