From:
Rene Bautista <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 May 2021 20:29:19 +0000
Dear Colleagues,
(Apologies for cross posting)

We are excited to announce that new data for the General Social Survey (GSS) collected in 2020 is now available to the public. To meet the challenges presented by the COVID-19 pandemic, the survey team adapted their data collection methods to web-based and telephone surveys to protect the health and safety of both the interviewers and survey participants. The GSS was conducted as two studies in 2020; namely, a panel study (re-interviewing GSS participants from 2016 and 2018) and a cross sectional study (with a newly selected representative sample of 2020). The information we are release now is from the 2016-2020 GSS panel.  The second survey (cross sectional study) will be available later this year. We have prepared documentation-which is available at our website (gss.norc.org) - to understand the scope and possibilities with the recent GSS data.

The 2020 GSS entered into a collaboration with the American National Election Studies, for a follow up study using the 2016-2020 GSS panel cases. Later this year, the GSS and ANES teams will announce when the crosswalk information becomes available. With this collaboration, researchers will have the possibility to study changes in society before and after the 2020 election. Researchers will be able to connect reported social views with political preferences and views. Social scientists will be able to study aspects around COVID19 concerns, loneliness, interactions of the police with the community and ethnic groups, and vote intention connected with the foundational content from the GSS.

If you are interested, you can also follow us on Twitter to stay up-to-date on GSS announcements: @GSS_NORC<https://twitter.com/GSS_NORC>

You can find our press release here:
https://www.norc.org/NewsEventsPublications/PressReleases/Pages/panel-data-from-2020-general-social-survey-released-to-the-public.aspx.

Direct access to the data set and documentation is here:

Stata: http://gss.norc.org/Documents/stata/GSS_2020_panel_stata.zip

SAS: http://gss.norc.org/Documents/sas/GSS_2020_panel_sas.zip

Sincerely,
René Bautista

René Bautista, Ph.D (he/him/his)
Principal Research Scientist
Methodology and Quantitative Social Science Department
office (773) 256-6199

NORC at the University of Chicago
1155 60th East Street, 2nd Floor, Chicago IL 60637

Director and Co-Principal Investigator, General Social Survey
Associate Editor, Public Opinion Quarterly
Lecturer, University of Chicago Harris Graduate School of Public Policy