From:
Bruce Desmarais <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Political Methodology Society <[log in to unmask]>, Bruce Desmarais <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Sep 2022 10:37:03 -0400
Apologies for cross-posting. Please see the application link and full
advertisement below. Feel free to reach out to me or our department head,
Lee Ann Banaszak ([log in to unmask]), with inquiries.

https://psu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/PSU_Academic/job/Penn-State-University-Park/Open-Rank-Professor-of-Political-Science-and-Social-Data-Analytics_REQ_0000036142-1

THE PENNSYLVANIA STATE UNIVERSITY

Open Rank (Tenured or Tenure Track) Professor of Political Science and
Social Data Analytics

The Department of Political Science and the Institute for Computational and
Data Sciences at the Pennsylvania State University at University Park, PA,
USA, invite applications for a tenured or tenure-track *Assistant
Professor, Associate Professor or Professor of Political Science and Social
Data Analytics* to begin in Fall 2023 for faculty whose substantive
research interests on politics are informed by, or inform the development
of, data-intensive or computationally-intensive techniques. The substantive
research area is open. Candidates should be able to contribute to our
undergraduate Social Data Analytics (https://soda.la.psu.edu/) major, which
offers upper-level undergraduate courses that fuse substantive material and
data analysis, and our graduate courses offerings in Social Data Analytics
and political methodology.  Faculty positions at Penn State involve
substantial research support; in addition, junior positions offer
significant release time.

Candidates for *Assistant Professor* must have demonstrated ability as a
teacher, scholar and researcher in a field relevant to the Department of
Political Science and the Institute for Computational and Data Sciences and
have shown evidence of scholarly or professional achievement. Duties will
involve a combination of teaching, research, and service, based on the
candidate’s qualifications.

Candidates for *Associate Professor* must have demonstrated excellence as a
teacher, scholar and researcher in a field relevant to the Department of
Political Science and the Institute for Computational and Data Sciences and
have an established reputation in scholarly or professional achievement.
Duties will involve a combination of teaching, research, and service, based
on the candidate’s qualifications.

Candidates for* Professor* must have demonstrated excellence as a teacher,
scholar and researcher in a field relevant to the Department of Political
Science and the Institute for Computational and Data Sciences and evidence
of a substantial record of advanced research as well as leadership in their
field of specialization. Duties will involve a combination of teaching,
research, and service, based on the candidate’s qualifications.

Applicants for all ranks should possess a terminal degree (Ph.D.) in a
field relevant to the Department of Political Science and the Institute for
Computational and Data Sciences. Candidates must have their Ph.D. in hand
by appointment date.

Candidates for all ranks should have a record of publication in
high-quality venues, and demonstrate the potential for external funding.

In addition, successful candidates must either have demonstrated a
commitment to building an inclusive, equitable, and diverse campus
community, or describe one or more ways they would envision doing so, given
the opportunity.

This position is co-funded by the College of the Liberal Arts and the
Institute for Computational and Data Sciences. As an ICDS co-hire, the
successful candidate is expected to engage in interdisciplinary research
that relies substantially on some combination of big data, simulations,
machine learning, or related methodologies, as applied to pressing
theoretical questions within the discipline of political science. The
Institute for Computational and Data Sciences (ICDS; https:icds.psu.edu),
one of Penn State’s five university wide research institutes, connects
researchers from numerous disciplines to answer critical scientific
questions and societal issues through cyber enabled research and
methodology. ICDS has nearly 300 affiliated faculty, with over 20
tenure-track, co-hired fellows faculty, engaged in interdisciplinary
computation and data enabled research. Our affiliated faculty utilize our
ICDS-operated advanced computing (Roar), Penn State’s high performance
research cloud, which is in the top 15 among our peers.

Application review will begin on October 25, 2022, and continue until the
position is filled. Applicants should submit a cover letter explaining
their research and teaching experience, a current CV, samples of scholarly
writing, and contact information for three references. Apply online at
https://hr.psu.edu/careers.

*System limitations allow for a total of 5 documents (5mb per document) as
part of your application. Please combine materials to meet the 5-document
limit.*

Penn State is committed to and accountable for advancing diversity, equity,
and inclusion in all of its forms. We embrace individual uniqueness, foster
a culture of inclusion that supports both broad and specific diversity
initiatives, leverage the educational and institutional benefits of
diversity, and engage all individuals to help them thrive. We value
inclusion as a core strength and an essential element of our public service
mission.

----
Bruce A. Desmarais (he/him)
DeGrandis-McCourtney Early Career Professor in Political Science
Director, Graduate Programs in Social Data Analytics
Director, Center for Social Data Analytics
Co-Hire, Institute for Computational and Data Sciences
Pennsylvania State University
brucedesmarais.com